Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Aug 9, 2009, 2:53 AM   #1

Default blackpool

had two attempts at this shot as time was against me maybe next time i go i will be more prepared .

Last edited by simple; Aug 9, 2009 at 3:55 AM.
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2009, 3:00 AM   #2

and cropped versions of above

Old Aug 9, 2009, 3:32 AM   #3

these are great! I think I like the cropped version, but low tide in the first two make for an interesting land(sea) scape...

Was this HDR? I am more and more impressed with HDR everytime I see one. All in all, a great effort.

Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2009, 3:53 AM   #4

yeah i try hdr every now and again..... i just like the results you can achieve . thanks for you comments .

the next time i go to blackpool im going to make sure everything is setup correctly and try a few different things good job my mother lives there LOL A GOOD EXCUSE TO RETURN
Old Aug 9, 2009, 6:38 AM   #5

Hi Simple

Nice capture. I've not been to Blackpool, though heard about it now and then, when I lived in the UK as a "fun place". Thanks for sharing, it now gives me the best mental picture of the place! And lovely clear detail!

I like the first photo of each "2 photo set". The reason is that the colours (particularly the clouds) in photo 2 and photo 4 don't look natural to me - too blue (as if there might be a colour cast / white balance issue).

The amount of detail / dynamic range in the clouds is good. So are these photos HDR?

Cheers

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2009, 7:07 AM   #6

yes.... i took these with hdr in mind ..... im going to play with them a bit more to see if i can get a better result thanks for your comments..... simon

Last edited by simple; Aug 9, 2009 at 7:10 AM.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 8:37 AM   #7

HDR is the future of photography and not some new gimmick. While capable of some over the top pics, here you have shown a good realistic result. Ya people can question whether its HDR or not because either its over the top or the quality is so damn good. I think your shots might improve somewhat if you straighten out the horizon which would also make the tower more perpendicular. Also in the second shot I like the reflection of the kids in the water.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2009, 8:50 AM   #8

Old Aug 9, 2009, 9:05 AM   #9

Default well said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
HDR is the future of photography and not some new gimmick. While capable of some over the top pics, here you have shown a good realistic result. Ya people can question whether its HDR or not because either its over the top or the quality is so damn good. I think your shots might improve somewhat if you straighten out the horizon which would also make the tower more perpendicular. Also in the second shot I like the reflection of the kids in the water.
Hi Bynx

Yes, I agree, HDR is a very important aspect of photography, particularly landscape photography which often incorporates a wide dynamic range. I also wholehearted agree, that a good HDR looks natural, rather than "over the top" or "clearly HDR". That's why I aim for when I do HDR's.

I didn't want to seem too picky and comment about the horizon / tower which seemed about 1 degree out for me... but I'm glad you did.

Simon, I think you've captured and executed this scene very well both in the "full" version and the cropped one.

Thanks again!

Paul J
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2009, 2:37 PM   #10

i like the very first shot as the curved foreground leads your eye into the pic.

be very carefull with hdr, pushing it as far as in the second shot will make it look very bad when printing, the dark areas in the sky will be very noisey

i love hdr and have learnt that u gotta be conservative with it to get best results for printing......:-)

Gary
Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote