Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Aug 9, 2009, 9:09 AM   #1

Default My Ajax

This is a pic Im going to enter in local photo contest. Any c&c?
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2009, 2:12 PM   #2

I would have liked to see a wider shot on this one bynx if it was possible i know the house is the main focus point but the pickup is very tightly cropped and so on the other side i would crop the other garage off (3rd one)

to something like this maybe????

lovely home btw

Last edited by simple; Aug 9, 2009 at 2:14 PM.
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2009, 2:32 PM   #3

This isnt the full frame of the original. Its cropped to fit 8 x 12 inch photo paper. The only choice was 8 x 10 or 8 x 12. This was the best I could do.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 2:57 PM   #4

competion rules suck LOL ..... is it a local competition. the house looks great slight hdr.
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2009, 3:43 PM   #5

Yes its a local town photo contest. Its actually a scam by the town to get a few hundred good quality photos to use for the years advertising. They get to keep all photos entered and have the rights to do with them what they want. By the way the photo was shot in late afternoon, not night. I asked the people to just turn all their lights on. And the moon was an afterthought.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 3:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
... By the way the photo was shot in late afternoon, not night. I asked the people to just turn all their lights on. And the moon was an afterthought.
Clever and tasteful job my friend! My humble suggestion could be increasing the size of the moon a bit more and arranging the lighting depending on the moon by the use of 'omni' light type in Lighting Effects feature, which will also accentuate the silhouttes of the trees. Finally you may increase the saturation of blue in the night sky.
Ah, such a lovely verandah to enjoy the moonlit garden of a jasmine scented night : )

Cheers!
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2009, 5:47 AM   #7

Default Nice one, mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Yes its a local town photo contest. Its actually a scam by the town to get a few hundred good quality photos to use for the years advertising. They get to keep all photos entered and have the rights to do with them what they want. By the way the photo was shot in late afternoon, not night. I asked the people to just turn all their lights on. And the moon was an afterthought.
Hi Bynx

I like this photo a lot. And yes, I fully understand about it being a local town scam... they'll try their ways. Anyway, it's allowed us to enjoy this pic of yours.

You said that it was late afternoon... well I'm "surprised" as it has a real "late evening" or "night" feel to it? So did you do a lot of editting on it to get that effect, or was it just a clever combination of exposure and lighting, etc?

The photo itself - I love the contrasting nature of the (cool) blue / purple colour on the (white) timber house and the (warm) orange lights. Also the fact that there are different window designs and differing amounts of brightness coming from the various windows, and the stained glass one (I guess) as well as the upper right window (in the photo) more in darkness, and the semi-circle in the top one, all add good interest.

So it gives a quick "nice clear uncluttered photo" feel, yet plenty of interest to keep me gazing at all the details. I agree with simple's (simon's) edit to cut off that 3rd garage. Feels more "complete" that way.

A few other quick suggestions:
a) take away the "perspective effect" / slight distortion (straight verticals slightly pointing inwards toward the top) if that's possible with software you have
b) the car (ute) on the left of the photo is just a tad too tightly cropped IMHO. If you could give half a metre of space to the left, that might help

I think the moon and background trees really add well to the effect and suit it.

Thanks for sharing. Just to think the architect/s and builder/s of this home probably never guessed that their work would be viewed in this way by many across the world. By the way, did you know the people in the home, or did you just knock on their door and explain to them?

It would seem an interesting request from a "stranger" if so! But I'd always oblige! Come and take photos of my house anytime, mate... you just need the ticket to Down Under!

Paul (Australia)
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2009, 8:18 AM   #8

Thanks for your comments Bahadir and PJ. I was concerned about the saturation of the sky. I will darken it a bit but I still want to keep some color in it. Its quite easy to make a daylight scene look like its taken at night. Gotta love Photoshop. What you think is a stained glass window is actually the television in the living room. The upper right window is showing a large mirror which is reflecting the sky out front. I did some thinking on this and decided to leave it alone since there is no other light in the room and I didnt want just a plain black window. To show more of the truck would mean cropping off more on the right side. I have considered eliminating the light but I dont want to lose the feeling that there is still more to see rather than just look at the house and feel thats all there is. I was hoping the left side of the pic was dark enough to not notice how the truck was cropped. As another tid bit I dont know the people in the house. I just walked up and asked them if I could photograph it and if they would be kind enough to turn all the lights on. In lower left windows there are a couple clocks visible. They have children living in different parts of the world and each clock is tagged and tells the time where each child is. There were 4 clocks.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 12:15 PM   #9

Well I got good news today. This pic took first place. I dont mind giving it up if I win something. I just felt that losing pics should be returned.
Old Aug 28, 2009, 1:06 PM   #10

well done, its a very nice pic
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote