Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Aug 9, 2009, 8:13 AM   #1

Default People in Motion

This is the other pic Im entering on another topic. Any C&C. Im really looking for a fresh eye.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2009, 7:04 PM   #2

A very dynamic shot with a great sensation of motion conveyed. However, IMHO I feel like it would be better if the camera angle were higher. Say, just over the shoulder showing some of the face. It is fundamentally a very sound shot. It's just that, for me, the hand and knee aren't as interesting as seeing some of the face. Maybe that's just me. I love the idea and the execution though. You certainly captured the essence of motion in this shot.

Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2009, 8:52 PM   #3

I had the camera on a tripod which was tied to the bicycle frame. With that Mickey Mouse arrangement I was pretty limited on what I could get in the picture. Im thinking of making something more elaborate that will give me the shot you suggest.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 2:50 AM   #4

I was doing just that yesterday; for me you could probably have used shutter speeds in seconds as it seemed most of the day I was going up hills very, very slowly. I have just had an email sent to me, from a fitter member of our group who got to the top quicker, with a jpg showing me, and several others, struggling up one of the hills: Not a pretty sight!

I too like this shot as it shows the way I feel when swooping downhill.

However to get something different I would try to get a shot with the cyclists feet blurred, thighs less blurred but frame sharp i.e. showing some peddling action.

Last edited by athegn; Aug 10, 2009 at 2:53 AM.
athegn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2009, 7:24 AM   #5

Your last suggestion is really funny to me. Truth is, my leg was exactly as you say -- blurred from pedalling. I didnt like it so I reshot my leg while standing on a box on my balcony. I faced the same direction relative to when the picture was taken so lighting was similar. Then I replaced the leg so its more in focus and sharper. But Im glad you noticed that.
Old Aug 10, 2009, 11:21 AM   #6

"..I didnt like it..."

That's interesting because I have been taken some pictures of the racing boys in my cycle club by panning. The best is where there is movement in the feet and legs but the frame and upper body is sharp.

But thinking of what you said I can see that too much movement may overwhelm the image.
athegn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2009, 3:25 PM   #7

Here is the original shot. To me it just looks like my leg is out of focus. It doesnt look like a biur from movement.
Attached Images