Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Aug 16, 2009, 10:27 AM   #1

Default L'etude, Calotype(!)

Impressed by the enrapt studying of the subject, I made two versions from the impromptu original! Would like to hear which one works for you, providing of course, they make any sense : )

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2009, 10:35 AM   #2

mmm this is a tuffy my friend ! the first image there is more detial and i like the lighting the second is also good however the back of her hand is burnt out but i like the clean bright look also as her shirt matches the curtians im on the fence with this one i could easily sway either way.... ive got to ask what was she studying/writing?
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2009, 10:48 AM   #3

I like the first, in that most of it is darker except for that area on the subject's face and arm. It drew my eye to her first, then the surroundings. The second is also a good rendition and the overall similarity in colour is attractive. Can I say that both versions work for me?

Regards
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2009, 11:09 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple View Post
mmm this is a tuffy my friend ! the first image there is more detial and i like the lighting the second is also good however the back of her hand is burnt out but i like the clean bright look also as her shirt matches the curtians im on the fence with this one i could easily sway either way.... ive got to ask what was she studying/writing?

Happy to read your remarks my friend. Also tuffy for me, since I feel something is still calling out! The feeling of timelessness there was so real like the curtains and dense like the sunlight...and she was studying reductions in defining and non defining relative clauses I believe : )

Last edited by bahadir; Aug 16, 2009 at 11:12 AM.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 11:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenose View Post
I like the first, in that most of it is darker except for that area on the subject's face and arm. It drew my eye to her first, then the surroundings. The second is also a good rendition and the overall similarity in colour is attractive. Can I say that both versions work for me?

Regards
Very subtle description supporting my intention...I clonned out the frame on the first one which might mave been distracting. Happy to hear both works for you : )
Old Aug 16, 2009, 11:47 AM   #6

Interesting what you have done to both versions. In the first one the subject is part of the room and separate from the outside world through the window. In the second version the subject is separate from everything else. The room and window and outside world are one while she is the only solid thing there. Its odd how the second version, while lighter has the details in the window, while the first darker version has the window blown out with the loss of the details and image. I do question some of the focus or rather out of focus adjustments you made to the first version. In particular, the left chair with the bag on it. Overall good stuff here. Lots to see and think about.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2009, 12:27 PM   #7

Both are nice and have their own plusses. I'm wondering if some cropping left, right and bottom would help.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2009, 4:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Interesting what you have done to both versions. In the first one the subject is part of the room and separate from the outside world through the window. In the second version the subject is separate from everything else. The room and window and outside world are one while she is the only solid thing there. Its odd how the second version, while lighter has the details in the window, while the first darker version has the window blown out with the loss of the details and image. I do question some of the focus or rather out of focus adjustments you made to the first version. In particular, the left chair with the bag on it. Overall good stuff here. Lots to see and think about.
The way you 'read' the image is excellent my friend! I cloned out the window frames in the first image, which othervise would be somewhat distracting, and then blew out the window deliberately to honour the subject! In the second picture, impressed by the mood of the subject, I intended to give anambrotypes look suggesting an 'out of space out of time' feel to it...I wanted to preserve the belongings on the stage but with a ghosty look so as to prevent them distracting fromthe subject. Still, I think I could have attained my intention more dramaticly, so would be happy to receive suggestions : )
Old Aug 16, 2009, 4:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter C View Post
Both are nice and have their own plusses. I'm wondering if some cropping left, right and bottom would help.
Thank you for your insightful words dear Walter. Actually I cropped them somewhat since cropping, as you've suggested, often emphasizes the subject efficiently and also enables one to attain a de-centered composition. Therefore, I'd welcome any further cropping suggestions : )
Old Aug 16, 2009, 5:56 PM   #10

Bahadir, I have to say that as an immediate judgement looking at the two, I far prefer the first. Having read Bynx's comments and looked in more detail at each picture, I think I understand more why I like the first better.
In the second the subject is separated from the background as I think you intended but it is almost too much separation. In particular, her left hand appears to be resting on something on a different plane entirely.
Maybe there should be more of a transition of the chair into the background?
Nice work anyway.
malinstreak is offline   Reply With Quote