Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Aug 17, 2009, 12:05 PM   #1

Default Safe

Comments on composition, color lighting etc. will be appreciated.
Attached Images

Linc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2009, 12:40 PM   #2

The photo is nice and sharp and I like the expression on her face.

The white balance is a bit off - too blue to my eyes.
But, the framing bothers me a bit. The current framing places emphasis on the shoulder of the girl - and it highlights the appearance she isn't wearing a top (might be - it just looks in this photo as if she isn't). While there's nothing inappropriate at all in the photo, for an older toddler like this (as opposed to an infant) I just don't care for that aspect to have emphasis.

I might be overly sensitive as the father of a 3-year-old myself. But I would have prefered a slightly different composition where the eyes were more featured and the bare shoulder/back less so.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2009, 5:05 PM   #3

Linc, I agree with John G. on two counts. The color balance seems to be off a little, and the "exposure". So I did a quick edit, hope you don't mind, and not sure myself if this works, but here goes... I added some smart blur, maybe too much??? Let me know what you think...Robert
Attached Images

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2009, 9:03 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies guys. I didn't get the same feeling about 'exposure' when my wife and I first viewed it. But I do agree and see it now that you point it out. Her shoulder/back is taking up nearly 1/2 the frame.

Hawgwild - I do like your edit, the colors look much better. I don't have the eye yet to tell if there is too much blur, but I do like it better than the original.

Thanks again - again, you guys are a great resource, it's really helping me see things I wouldn't have on my own.

-Linc
Old Aug 18, 2009, 1:24 PM   #5
Super Moderator

The white balance and exposure is much better in the edited version. However, its just too much blur in my opinion. I think a little blur will work in this pic as the eyes aren't super-sharp as is, but don't overdo it.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2009, 1:36 PM   #6

I agree on the 'too much blur'. You don't want to wipe out so much detail in the hair. But, to me, I'm not sure any blur is needed. Toddlers are different than adults - their skin is smooth. Bluring works well in adult women because it lessens the imperfections/wrinkles. Still, blur is something you should be able to adjust in your own edit. So, you can try 'no blur' or different amounts of it to see what you like. But eyes especially shouldn't be blurred. And, IMO, hair is a bad thing to blur too. No right or wrong though - just different thoughts.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2009, 5:31 AM   #7

Default A slightly different approach

I took a slightly different approach with the photograph of your daughter.
I too would have composed it with less shoulder exposed and a bit more of her face and top of her head. After cropping out the shoulder, I tried a little color correction, then feathering to take out the hard edges.

or, you can take the color out:

Last edited by zig-123; Aug 19, 2009 at 5:59 AM. Reason: added photo
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2009, 10:18 AM   #8

simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2009, 7:26 PM   #9

Default Awesome Guys!

Thanks a lot guys. I again, really appreciate the comments and PP done on the photo. Gives me a lot to think about and work with/towards in future photos.

-Linc