Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Aug 22, 2009, 3:25 PM   #1

Default Bettolle Italy

Taken when walking down a hot Italian road to Sunday lunch.
Attached Images

athegn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2009, 1:10 PM   #2

This reminds me of the opening scene of Gladiator where a hand glides over the top of the wheat. A nice shot with good use of depth of field.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2009, 3:16 PM   #3

Thank you for the comment.

Gladiator is one of my wife's favourite films. I will ask her if she sees the connection.

I see I need to do more on the sky at the right; this is a scan of a negative that seems to have some marks there.
Old Aug 23, 2009, 4:28 PM   #4

Very good job there
Btw, spot on association by Paul regarding the Gladiator! I may have watched that film, perhaps, over a hundred times with full appreciation for its music by Hans Zimmer, I even used in my master's thesis in which I was inspired to establish an intertextuality in terms of 'architectural order' featuring also a poem by Poe; Coliseum...
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2009, 3:57 PM   #5

"..This reminds me of the opening scene of Gladiator where a hand glides over the top of the wheat.."

My wife agrees; she can image the hand over these wheat stalks.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 10:10 PM   #6

Hi there!
This is a lovely shot indeed! I love the golden tone of the wheat. (it is wheat, isn't it?) I can tell you were making the 'wheat' the main subject in the image due to your composition. Now, this is just my very own opinion but I would have to say that I feel that the blurred trees in the background are actually taking my eyes away from the foreground, which is the subject. I may be wrong but I think I'd blur the background out more as the trees offer such a nice shape that it actually detracts you from looking at the main subject. Or....if you are able, I'd take this shot again having it sharp from foreground to background. I really do like the shot though. Good thinking.....
Old Aug 25, 2009, 3:54 AM   #7

Thank you for your comments.

I did want the wheat to be the main subject with the trees blurred. I will see if blurring them more will improve the image by making then less distracting.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 6:56 AM   #8

Im not sure if I agree with Stitchbabes comments about the background. I suppose the background could be made a little more out of focus but to me, its not necessary. The background is important because it places where the wheat field is and where it is not. Its definately not in the prairies of Saskatchewan or the dust bowl of Kansas. That is definately a Mediterranean look and Italy in particular. It is that look which made me think Gladiator when I first saw it. And while your wheat is the main subject I feel the background trees is also an important subject as well. I wouldnt change a thing.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote