Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Sep 13, 2009, 12:45 PM   #1

Default HDR First Humble Attempt

I'm fairly new to DSLR photography, very much on the upward side of the learning curve. The HDR process appeals to me very much, so after playing with the software demo for a few days, and figuring out AEB on my camera, I'm posting my first humble attempt.
Hand held, Canon T1i, 1/640, 1/160, 1/40, 800 ISO, F7.1

Cheers
Scottie
Attached Images

Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2009, 6:59 PM   #2

Good first try Scotty. Im sure as you improve your technique you will love the results. Im puzzled by the center of the pic at the horizon, why does it have such a soft edge? Id like to see your mid shot to compare to the final.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2009, 8:26 PM   #3

Thanks Bynx, I think it's simply out of focus. Here's the midrange shot.
Attached Images

Old Sep 13, 2009, 10:35 PM   #4

I dont see much difference between your mid range shot and your final. Perhaps this wasnt such a good candidate for HDR because I dont see much of the effect. It is an interesting photo with its geometric shapes. I dont have a dslr so my camera doesnt shoot RAW. Is that the kind of files you made your HDR from? Each RAW files contains all the info to create an HDR while Jpegs are limited to what you see.

Last edited by Bynx; Sep 13, 2009 at 10:45 PM.
Old Sep 14, 2009, 1:12 PM   #5

I see what you mean Bynx, there really isn't much difference. I haven't been shooting in RAW format, maybe I'll give that a go and try again. Thanks for checking it out.

Cheers
Old Sep 14, 2009, 1:39 PM   #6

If you havent been shooting in RAW then dont for the purpose of HDR. True HDR is a combination of a few jpeg shots. Using Raw file is a close rendition but not exactly the same. You used 1/640 sec exposure for the sky. Was this too long? In your LCD screen the sky should be all you see in the pic. Perhaps some image in the water reflection as well. The longest time 1/40 is for the shadowed areas. When you see that in your LCD all shadowed areas should have lots of detail. By checking your LCD screen as you shoot you can make your exposure time by what you see and not by the numbers. Hope this helps.
Old Sep 22, 2009, 5:30 PM   #7

When I shoot for HDR, I always look on how low/high my shutter speed needs to go to get the desired results.
Since I do have a Nikon D60 I can't even do a AEB shot so I need to figure everything out for myself and the most annoying thing, is that I have larger chance of jinxing my shot because I need to finger the camera, and if clouds are present they might have time to move to much for me to get another shot

Flikkaarrrr
Acapulco is offline   Reply With Quote