Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Sep 15, 2009, 12:05 AM   #21

that shot is fantastic dave.

HDR is quite addictive but i personally only use it on well lets say still life
photography.
i still have to go out with my camera and shoot normal - genuine photos as our club as in house competitions about every fortnight these range from macro - portrait - natural history - photojournalism - landscape to pictorial etc etc.

i will admit though HDR as taken a hold of me the main reason you can manipulate some very basic / average shots and create to personal tastes something amazing quite easily.

hards80 im sure you will enjoy the learning curve and i hope to see some expaerimenting soon

thankyou all for your comments , thoughts and views
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2009, 1:13 AM   #22

No complaints with that shot Dave but there are no great differences between the highlights and shadows. I wouldnt think of HDR if I were taking this shot framed as it is. I find HDR is primarily for static objects where you have bright skies and dark shadowed areas and everything else in between. Now if you want to do an HDR of a busy street and you are shooting in Raw, Im pretty sure you can take that one raw shot and create an HDR from it, thus eliminating the problem of the moving people and cars. Im unable to shoot in raw so I will check what Ive said but Im pretty sure Im right. Ive found a place for HDR which I seek out --- church interiors. Lots of dark places and dark oak furnishings and beams along with bright stained glass windows and chandeliers of varying intensity throughout the room. I just got back from being downtown Toronto and I took a few shots with HDR in mind of the CN Tower all lit up at night with various buildings with their interior lights on. I do think of HDR when Im in certain situations, but not all the time. Its just one of the things to let us wander in to see what comes up. By the way, I set up an HDR Thread in the Digital Art Forum. There were instructions and lots of samples from others who have given it a shot.

Last edited by Bynx; Sep 15, 2009 at 1:16 AM.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2009, 11:17 AM   #23

cant wait to see em bynx
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2009, 4:31 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
No complaints with that shot Dave but there are no great differences between the highlights and shadows. I wouldnt think of HDR if I were taking this shot framed as it is. I find HDR is primarily for static objects where you have bright skies and dark shadowed areas and everything else in between. Now if you want to do an HDR of a busy street and you are shooting in Raw, Im pretty sure you can take that one raw shot and create an HDR from it, thus eliminating the problem of the moving people and cars. Im unable to shoot in raw so I will check what Ive said but Im pretty sure Im right. Ive found a place for HDR which I seek out --- church interiors. Lots of dark places and dark oak furnishings and beams along with bright stained glass windows and chandeliers of varying intensity throughout the room. I just got back from being downtown Toronto and I took a few shots with HDR in mind of the CN Tower all lit up at night with various buildings with their interior lights on. I do think of HDR when Im in certain situations, but not all the time. Its just one of the things to let us wander in to see what comes up. By the way, I set up an HDR Thread in the Digital Art Forum. There were instructions and lots of samples from others who have given it a shot.
Out of roughly 30,000 shots I've kept, two have been tone mapped by using RAW files.

Let me point out a couple of things. While the camera, even ones with the widest range, can not capture the dynamic range of light that may be present in the scene, neither can the human eye.

While the eye has a greater dynamic range then the camera, it too is limited, and the brain automatically adjusts the scene using the information sent to it by the eye. So as your eye moves from light to shadow, it adjusts to one, and then adjusts to the other. This is why some properly done HDR images still look weird. Haven't you noticed this?

I'm not saying this to criticise HDR buy to give my own personal taste and method of work. Since it's rare that I can use a flash, I substitute manuver in order to make use of light. If I can't get the light to properly expose the scene, I can get light that will still reflect what the observer would see.

Do you want to make an HDR out of a scene that not even the eye could not see?

Much of the HDR posted here I've praised, and I'm not going to be picky and say that some of it looks like it's pushing a scene past what my eye would have seen.

So to sum up my real critique of HDR, is that once again, it is used as a substitute for learning the craft. The image below could be done with HDR, but it wouldn't be showing you what I saw when I took the shot.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2009, 1:07 PM   #25

Simple, I should say I especially liked your B&W version, which conveys quite a dramatic feed and displays another virtue of the hdr without colours!

Well, as for the drawing discussion above, I'd ony suffice to add that; if my eyes was only able to see what my camera was able to capture even in its best exposed shot, I would't even dare to drive except when the sun came behind me, at at least, so as to save many a cute creature such as above : )
Joke aside, thanks to hdr technique, for almost over a year, I've been bravely turning my face against the sun to capture some beautiful compositions with contra lighting while my collegues at hiking wouldn't even attempt to take their cameras from their bags or suffice with lesser compositions for the sake of some compulsory compromise...Of course I also like capturing 'the beauty of silhoutte' which my eyes do not really see as it is in reality, but all in good time ; )
Below are two casual examples I shot just a couple of hours ago. No need to mention which is 'more real' to human eye,imo, if that's the issue.
Cheers!
Bahadir

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote