Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Sep 14, 2009, 1:45 PM   #1

Default Wooden-Boats in HDR

Sunday afternoon was time for a visit to new grounds along the local coastline to get som new shots for HDR-renderings. I'v fallen somewhat for this new technique, as the outcome is ever so unexpected and different from your last try. Strange things happen sometimes, when you assemble exposures this way.

This time it was some old wooden boats, well past their prime, that cought my eye. They all look like someons (shattered?) dream and may well end up as someons nightmare. It's quite obviouse that most of those "projects" never will make it through planned repair and make-over.
Enjoy!

BTW: How does one space the pictures apart when using this Attachment managment direct upload???
Attached Images

Quote: "Buying a camera doesn't make you a photographer. - It makes you a camera owner".
Curious about my photography?
You may look up my small portfolio on the Norwegian photo-forum: http://walter_s.foto.no/ - click - "LATEST" on left bottom of page.
You may then click any thumbnail to view the picture and click again on the displayed picture for an unobstructed full screen view. Enjoy!
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 14, 2009, 1:48 PM   #2

Very nice! Draws the eye, and I would never know they were HDR images without you telling me.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2009, 3:51 PM   #3

yup nicely done walter i think you processed these just right i like both additions the first being my pick of the two though due to a litlle ghosting on the moor rope on the second .... i have the same problem on a barge on a canal i shot yesterday however like yourself i did two additions
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2009, 1:35 AM   #4

Very interesting and natural looking picture.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2009, 6:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple View Post
...due to a litlle ghosting on the moor rope on the second .... i have the same problem on a barge on a canal i shot yesterday...
Thanks simple - I appreciate your comments specially, since I really do admire your many church-photos from the Lake District, all done in HDR. Also your series of the Townhall was teriffic!

Yes, sometimes strange things happen when using Photomatix Pro (I have version 3.1.3) and there is always a bit of surprise involved as to the outcome of ones next HDR.

Have you noticed that the outcome may differ a little if you stack your exposures in a different sequens?

But then this is what is so exciting, you never know for sure, if it works or not!

Old Sep 15, 2009, 6:40 AM   #6

Chato and Calicajun, thank you for your opinion!

Hey!
Does anybody know how to stack TWO pictures (like I did in this tread)when attaching files, using the Photo upload? I would have liked some more space between the pictures, but don't know how to!
Old Sep 15, 2009, 10:04 AM   #7

Walter, I like the 2nd shot best as it has fewer distracting elements and shows a bit more detail on the main subjects. Nicely done.

Walter
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2009, 2:52 AM   #8

Pretty nice application of hdr technique for a beautiful place, the result of which look quite photographic Imo, they would look even more natural if you match the greyish blue colour of the sky (often a side effect of tone mapping) with the sparkling one on the water, selecting the sky alone and then trying a few simple saturation and colour balance settings. Below is an example you could easily obtain.
Attached Images

Last edited by bahadir; Sep 16, 2009 at 3:02 AM.
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2009, 12:50 AM   #9

Default Thank you!

Hello bahadir - and thank's for the explanation!

As always, you have a lot of improvements to suggest and a lot of tricks up your sleeve. I really appreciate these kind of tips, because as a relative newcomer to pp I wouldn't have guessed that its possible to do, what you have suggested and done. It really improves the overall-look of the picture.

First one must learn HOW to do improvements before you can decide WHICH improvements to use in whatever situation. So, now I know, and now I'll try just what you suggested.

Thanks again, bahadir!
Old Sep 17, 2009, 1:27 AM   #10

Default B&W...?

I had a go at B&W-rendering of the same picture. But instead of using the ususal Enhance: ---> "Convert to Black and White" in Elements 7.0 - I tried someting I learned on the net...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f6au...eature=channel

...where the idea was, to use the Channel Mixer on a new adjustment-Layer in CS2, ticking off the Monochrome-box and playing around with the different colour-sliders.

I really have no clue to what I did, but seem to have overdone the dark sky....? On the other hand, I was pleased that I managed to save the texture on the boats decks (reflecting sunlight on the deck-planks), something that was completely "blown-out" when using the automatic "Convert to Black and White"-function in Elements.
Attached Images

Quote: "Buying a camera doesn't make you a photographer. - It makes you a camera owner".
Curious about my photography?
You may look up my small portfolio on the Norwegian photo-forum: http://walter_s.foto.no/ - click - "LATEST" on left bottom of page.
You may then click any thumbnail to view the picture and click again on the displayed picture for an unobstructed full screen view. Enjoy!