Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Sep 20, 2009, 6:27 PM   #1

Default soccer photos by amateur photographer...

Hi All,

I love taking photos and have recently purchased a D5000. I am using a Nikon 18-200 VR lens, using the sport setting on the camera. Just wanted to get some feedback. The color seems quite dark? The day was overcast as we've been having some terrible weather here lately. what would you suggest I use for settings when taking photos of sports....

kailona is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2009, 7:33 PM   #2

The only thing that I can suggest to you is to zoom in more.

The first image works fine like that but the other two can be better if you zoom in. You have a 200mm lens. If you zoom close to 200mm, you can cut out more of the background.
Old Sep 20, 2009, 7:40 PM   #3

The first shot is kind of fun - the best of the three.
Second shot is framed way too widely, is shot of the player's back (you want the face) and the background is way too much in focus and distracting.
Third shot is again shot too widely and the background is too much in focus. You need to use longer focal lengths to zoom in AND cause more blur of the background.

Keep at it - frame tighter and you'll get some better shots next time out.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2009, 7:58 PM   #4

Thanks for the feedback. I was actually sitting down while I took all the shots.... after looking through the photos I should have been on the goal end right?.... oh well, I have many more soccer games to go!
kailona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2009, 8:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailona View Post
after looking through the photos I should have been on the goal end right?
There is no single location. I'll move around several times during a game. The key though is to take the action that is close enough, with the players coming toward you. Some of those can be gotten from the end but a lot can't.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 2:50 PM   #6

I would personally say raising the ISO and lowering the F-Stop. Even more detailed view of the players and the ball would be ideal. As in the middle image the ball is somewhat blurry but overall I think having a higher shutter speed for any sports is better.

http://bit.ly/RVrJyV
stobey25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2012, 3:30 PM   #7

I also have a D5000 with the kit lenses I specifically got to get action shots of my kids.

First, I shoot from the goal end that my child's team is trying to score on. This way I get their faces as they're heading toward me. Yes, I give up plays on the defensive side of the field.

Use your lens (zoom in). The bad thing is that will close the iris, so you'll either need to up the ISO or slow down the shutter. I'd up the ISO so you can get to at least 1/1000 shutter speed (faster is better). The D5000 is pretty forgiving at higher ISO's (my opinion).

Go to manual settings. Take pictures during warm ups. Look at what you take... are they exposed well? If not, adjust your settings. During the game, take a lot!
SamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2012, 10:39 AM   #8

You might want to use spot metering or centre area metering so your subject is accurately exposed- also centre point focus might help,provided you track your subject in the centre. In addition using continuous AF should help alleviate out of focus shots.
On a recent outing with my D5000 and shooting marathon runners, I used shutter priority with 1/640th sec and selected auto iso with the other settings as above.
It was quite a dull day and quite often had to push up the exposure comp to +2/3.
SIMON40 is offline   Reply With Quote