Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Sep 21, 2009, 6:05 PM   #1

Default The clocktower...

...where people arrange to meet when cannot think of a good place : )
Well, it rained a lot here until last week, which made me take both my umbrella and my camera! This came pretty close to my impression on my way back home...or would you rather see it in b&w?

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 21, 2009, 6:17 PM   #2

Interesting scene! But in my opinion, a bit over sharpened.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2009, 8:30 PM   #3
Super Moderator

i think i would like to see it in b&w yea. it would fit the somber sky better i believe. you could maybe even add a lil film grain to further heighten the mood.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2009, 12:57 AM   #4

i know this tower from a earlier shot the old birdseed seller if im correct as the image is fixed in the back of my mind for all the right reasons .

how old is this tower bahadir it seems very detialed and crafted to perfection
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2009, 10:37 AM   #5

Yes. The tower is incredible and I would like to see details of it.
Nice mood in the pick bahadir. The light's so good.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2009, 4:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
Interesting scene! But in my opinion, a bit over sharpened. Dave
Thanks for the feedback! Glad you're interested : )
After the resizing for the web I usually apply some sharpening to compansate the loss. I might have done it a bit more this time actually, though the original below, the %100 crop of which as you see was detailed enough though shot handheld.

.................................................. ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
i think i would like to see it in b&w yea. it would fit the somber sky better i believe. you could maybe even add a lil film grain to further heighten the mood.
Thank you Dustin. I'll do that perhaps apply a bit sephia too, in an attempt to match fascinating feel of some photographs of the edifice taken a hundred years ago!

.................................................. .....

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple View Post
i know this tower from a earlier shot the old birdseed seller if im correct as the image is fixed in the back of my mind for all the right reasons .
Quote:
Originally Posted by simple View Post

how old is this tower bahadir it seems very detialed and crafted to perfection
You're absolutely correct my friend!
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/cr...ed-seller.html

The tower was completed just at the start of 20th century, and the clock came as a present from the German Emperor Wilhelm II. Thank you for the kind comment.

.................................................. ....................

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
Yes. The tower is incredible and I would like to see details of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
Nice mood in the pick bahadir. The light's so good.
Thank you for your kind appreciation. Above I submitted a %100 crop from the original. But the nothing can compare the real experience of course. Actually the lighting was some what difficult against the sky with mixed feelings, but came out well, just the way I saw it, thanks to the hdr technique : )

Last edited by bahadir; Sep 23, 2009 at 4:10 AM.
Old Sep 23, 2009, 10:30 AM   #7

Default Excellent!

A powerful picture, well executed, composed and well processed. I'v been looking at it for several minutes and find some new details to look at all the time.

I like it, not only because it is a beautiful clock-tower with an unique architecture and with incredible details in the building process, but also for the fact that it tells a story of an other country, so different to mine and therefor appeals to my exotic taste.

The HDR-process is just right and not overdone.

With a focal length of 21mm, how come the top of the tower is not distorted or becoming thinner at the top? Did you do something special to avoid this?

If I'd shoot this scene with my wide-angle the tower would certainly be much thinner at the top!

Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2009, 6:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
A powerful picture, well executed, composed and well processed. I'v been looking at it for several minutes and find some new details to look at all the time.

I like it, not only because it is a beautiful clock-tower with an unique architecture and with incredible details in the building process, but also for the fact that it tells a story of an other country, so different to mine and therefor appeals to my exotic taste.

The HDR-process is just right and not overdone.

With a focal length of 21mm, how come the top of the tower is not distorted or becoming thinner at the top? Did you do something special to avoid this?

If I'd shoot this scene with my wide-angle the tower would certainly be much thinner at the top!...
Happy to read your insightful comments Walter! Ah, there times when I find myself stuck on a photo scrutinizing the details; usually of the photographs shot a century ago! As for the focal length about the wide end of the lens, I should say, even a little change in the angle of shooting changes the distortions considerably and I like my Sigma 17-70 in many ways : ) Btw, the C&T corner is becoming an hdr appreciation workgroup, which is very positive of course