Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Sep 24, 2009, 2:18 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acapulco View Post
Hehe, don't worry mate, your pictures never feel as if they're lacking in any form or shape

Next HDR project, I'll do a test. I'm gonna make two HDR images, one made from the traditional 3-shot and one with overkill 8-10 shots, to see if there's any difference at all
Any ideas in what I should have as subject? I'll go for a walk tomorrow, see if I can find anything that meets the eye

how did you get on acapulco ?
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2009, 5:09 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple View Post
how did you get on acapulco ?
Unfortunately I didn't find a good HDR subject, but walk in to "landscape photos" to see my "Running Down The Stream" thread to see what I found instead

Because of the harsh weather this week and supposedly during half of next week I gotta look around everywhere for places my camera/subject can get jinxed by weather for my HDR test.

Flikkaarrrr
Acapulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2009, 12:39 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acapulco View Post
I've taken 9 pictures and then used Merge into HDR in Photoshop CS4 and done various changes for wanted effect. Hope this helps understand a bit.
It does thanks...sounds difficult tho.

A lot of this is over my head right now...but if I get an understanding of what you are talking about...I can then see whats possible....the specific how to's will come later...thanks.
littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2009, 2:38 AM   #34

Default Question about bracket-mode:

Quote:
...without moving the camera. the d90 will only take 3 shots at a time in brkt mode then i would need to reset the values manually...

I apologize for using this tread for O.T. questions - but I thought all cameras did just 3 shots in bracket mode (at least the ones that I looked at did).

Do you know of any dSLR-cams out there that do more then 3 shots in brackets? If so, how many shots does one get?

Just dreaming of my new camera (that I cannot afford anyway ) for the future...

Thanks.

Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2009, 2:54 AM   #35

I dont recommend ever using the auto bracket mode. The range of the 3 shots is not enough for most HDR settings. I always find the fstop I need which will allow me to cover the total range from the brightest to the darkest by using the shutter speed. For example say I use f5.6 as my fstop for all my shots. To get my exposure for the sky it has to be 1/1000 as the fastest speed my camera will allow. The balance of the photo will hopefully be quite dark. Then click a consistant number of clicks for each exposure. I generally do 4 or 5. Until we get to shooting for the darkest part of the picture. This might be in the range of 2 seconds. From the lightest to the darkest will determine exactly how many exposures are necessary to cover the full range. In Photomatix Pro it doesnt matter if its 3 images or 9 images, it only affects the processing time. And I find the more the images the greater detail the final pic will have. I hope this helps.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2009, 7:09 AM   #36

Quote:
HDR stand for high dynamic range ..... im thinking of creating a thread with a brief introduction using photomatix pro?
Do it please.
(Oh my! Another software to learn!)
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2009, 7:34 AM   #37
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
I apologize for using this tread for O.T. questions - but I thought all cameras did just 3 shots in bracket mode (at least the ones that I looked at did).

Do you know of any dSLR-cams out there that do more then 3 shots in brackets? If so, how many shots does one get?
The Nikon D300 can take up to 9 shots. ;-)

If you want to use a camera's Exposure Bracketing feature, most entry level models are limited to 3 Exposures. Some models allow larger steps in between exposures compared to others, too. For example, the Nikon D5000 is limited to 3 photos that are either 1/3 or 1/2 stop apart. You can set the starting exposure from +- 2 EV from where the metering is set. But,with only 3 photos at a maximum of 1/2 EV apart, it's not going to be very useful for HDR type shots where you'd want to combine photos taken over a wider range for best results (i.e., several stops of difference between the exposures used by the first and last photos in the set).

If you move up to the Nikon D90, you get up to 2 EV difference between photos when using Exposure Bracketing. But, like the D5000, it's limited to 3 photos.

My Sony A700 allows up to 5 photos in a sequence at up to 2/3 EV apart, or 3 photos at up to 2 EV Apart.

With a Nikon D300, you can take up to 9 photos in an Exposure Bracketing sequence, which would be really nice for more flexibility. I've seen great HDR images with 5 photos taken at 1 EV apart with a D300. You could take 3 photos at 2 EV Apart shooting raw using a model like the Nikon D90 or Sony A700 and produce 5 or 6 photos at 1 EV apart by tweaking exposure during raw conversion, then combine the resulting set using software. Some of the HDR software available can work directly with raw files, too.

The new Sony A500 and A550 models feature an interesting Auto Bracketing mode where two photos are taken (one exposed for highlights, the other exposed for shadows), then combined by the camera. It's smart enough to compensate for small amounts of movement between the bracketed photos (aligning the two shots in camera), reducing the need for a tripod.

See the section on this page under Dynamic Range Management, where you'll find a link to to some photos about Auto HDR, showing how it combines two photos in camera.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...70167#overview

Pentax also offers some interesting bracketing modes in some of it's newer models. For example, the K7 can combine up to 3 photos in camera. I don't think it offers any auto frame alignment features like the new Sony A500 and A550 models though. The Pentax K7 also has an exposure bracketing mode allowing up to 5 frames with up to 5 stops between them that could be very useful for combining photos using software like Photomatix.

Note that there is a free open source software solution available called Qtpsgui that you may want to try, too. It's also cross platform (Windows, Linux, OS X).

http://qtpfsgui.sourceforge.net/about.php

Of course, more sophisticated Exposure Bracketing in a camera is not a "must have" feature, as you could always take a few photos using a basic model's 3 photo bracketing feature with less difference between photos, then change your Exposure settings and take a few more to get a greater range between the photos in a sequence.

But, it would be nice to have better bracketing features if you wanted to do a lot of that kind of thing. That way, it should be easier to get consistent quality with less time between frames, since you wouldn't need to change settings as much (which also risks moving the camera).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2009, 10:36 AM   #38

Default Appreciate your answer, JimC!!

Thanks a lot, Jim - you have made my day with your interesting and extensive answer to my question. As I am a devoted HDR-shooter (don't dare to write photographer which sounds so professional...), so the possibility to take more than 3 exposure-brackets will weigh heavy for me when choosing a new camera.

Ideally 5 exp. with 1 EV-apart from -2, -1, 0, +1, +2 would be nice. So it looks like the The Pentax K7 is certainly worth considering. But 9 would be even better - so D300 - watch out!

Anyway, for the time being I'll have to be content with my Panny FZ-28 which gives me 3 exp. brackets with up to 1 EV apart. Of cours, I can readjust the exposure compensation and do another 3 shots, but I dont want to fiddle too much with the camera once I start shooting, fearing camera-shake might spoil any HDR-possibility.

Even though, I'v done precisely that when using a tripod, shooting landscape where there is not much movement in the motive, but most of my HDR-shots are actually hand-held.

Thank's again for your effort to guide a newcomer to dSLR's - and apologies to Acapulco for mistreating his tread with O.T.-talk on cameras instead of concentrating on his quest for HDR-technique

Last edited by Walter_S; Sep 26, 2009 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Had to clear some mess I made with copy / paste!!
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote