Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Sep 23, 2009, 8:52 PM   #1

Default Can't get my A game

I'm really having trouble with getting aperture settings right. I took this snap of my daughter using a Nikon P90 P&S camera. 1/120 f/5.6 ISO-64:

As you can see, it looks like she's in front of a picture of an apartment complex instead of standing in the apartment complex. I suppose part of this could be the fact that you can't see feet or shadows, but I'd also think it's because of the high ap setting.

For pics like these on a camera with a widely varying zoom, should I zoom all the way out, ap down as far as possible, and just have her get closer to me?

Sorry if my terminology or theories are wrong, I'm extremely new to this!
stevek42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2009, 6:41 AM   #2

I don't think it's an aperture issue here but rather a composition one. You should help the perspective, may be placing your daughter in the path, so the observer can relate the subject to the almost flat, distant background.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2009, 7:56 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
I don't think it's an aperture issue here but rather a composition one. You should help the perspective, may be placing your daughter in the path, so the observer can relate the subject to the almost flat, distant background.
That's a really great tip Ordo, thank you. I'll give it a shot with a different perspective. Now that you mention it, the lack of any object to compare her position to does make it very difficult.
Old Sep 24, 2009, 9:21 AM   #4

I don't get it. It looks like she's in front of the project, because there is nothing to her right or left.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2009, 9:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
I don't get it. It looks like she's in front of the project, because there is nothing to her right or left.

Dave
Do you think so? In this pic she's closer to an object on the left and it still gives that effect.

I don't think it's a bad pic by any means, it's just oddly disconcerting on the eyes. Or maybe I'm being overly critical of my own pics!
Old Sep 24, 2009, 10:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek42 View Post
Do you think so? In this pic she's closer to an object on the left and it still gives that effect.

I don't think it's a bad pic by any means, it's just oddly disconcerting on the eyes. Or maybe I'm being overly critical of my own pics!
I like both pics, although the girl is a touch "soft." In this one, a "lawn," not a building is to her right.

Try to remember that YOU are the only one familiar with this location. Why do you think you've created an optical illusion, when in fact, all you've done is crop away the information that could allow the viewing audience (Me and my dog in this case) to know that there are additional buildings?

Dave

Last edited by Chato; Sep 24, 2009 at 10:34 AM. Reason: right for left... :)
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote