Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Sep 27, 2009, 6:57 PM   #11

I also like your 2nd shot. It has a feeling I got from the Robin Williams Popeye movie. Everything is cockeyed. Some things lean left while others lean right. I love it. Your sky is the only thing that gives it away as HDR but its not overdone in my opinion. Its nice to have some texture there. I can easily see the area used in your first shot. Well done. Now as Oliver said.....More please.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2009, 1:02 PM   #12

Default Another one...

Kazuya and Walter C - Thank you for your kind words. They are appreciatet!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
...Now as Oliver said.....More please.
Of course, I am flattered 'to bits' for this sudden interest in my HDR-experiment and dish out more shots from the same day and location. For some reason, most of the shots I made this day, came out rather satisfactory when processed in Photomatic Pro, something that's not always the case!

Please hit me with something hard (figure of speech ) if I loose my head alltogether and get too cocky!

# 3

This shot is not a picture as such to show off, as it has no real motive and has everything else wrong. Even though the background of all the wooden pillars that keeps the dock up is quiet charming but there is too much going on up there I had to crop.

I took this shot because its a perfect HDR-motive (as HDR has a tendency to bring out texture rather well) with the texture of the moss-covered rocks, the grass and the visible seeweed in the mud - remember it was low-tide! Things that normally are hidden during high-tide.

Quote: "Buying a camera doesn't make you a photographer. - It makes you a camera owner".
Curious about my photography?
You may look up my small portfolio on the Norwegian photo-forum: http://walter_s.foto.no/ - click - "LATEST" on left bottom of page.
You may then click any thumbnail to view the picture and click again on the displayed picture for an unobstructed full screen view. Enjoy!

Last edited by Walter_S; Sep 28, 2009 at 1:41 PM.
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2009, 1:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
Kazuya and Walter C - Thank you for your kind words. They are appreciatet!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of course, I am flattered 'to bits' for this sudden interest in my HDR-experiment and dish out more shots from the same day and location. For some reason, most of the shots I made this day, came out rather satisfactory when processed in Photomatic Pro, something that's not always the case!

Please hit me with something hard (figure of speech ) if I loose my head alltogether and get too cocky!

# 3

This shot is not a picture as such to show off, as it has no real motive and has everything else wrong. Even though the background of all the wooden pillars that keeps the dock up is quiet charming but there is too much going on up there I had to crop.

I took this shot because its a perfect HDR-motive (as HDR has a tendency to bring out texture rather well) with the texture of the moss-covered rocks, the grass and the visible seeweed in the mud - remember it was low-tide! Things that normally are hidden during high-tide.

Good point you bring up. When an hdr is done so that it doesnt look like an hdr but a really good exposed photo what is it that makes it so good? Is it the details. I suppose thats what it is. So much detail, minute detail. I like your last shot. Lots to see there. hahahha the minute detail.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2009, 2:48 PM   #14

Oh my! I want your camera and your lenses and I want your hdr software. But most of all I want your eye. Terrific picks and pp!
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2009, 9:49 PM   #15

Love your HDR Shots man ! keep it up

Flikkaarrrr
Acapulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2009, 11:40 PM   #16

Both good shots but really like that second one.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2009, 3:29 PM   #17

Default Appreciate all the kind words!

- Ordo - the nicest thing anybody ever said about my pix. Thank's a lot!

- Takk så myket - Acapulco! Ja du har jo selv en Panasonic FZ-28 - så du vet hvor god dette kamera er!!

- Thanks, Calicajun - I just wonder - you said that you liked #2 - any reason for that? Its a relly messy picture IMO, with a lot (too much, really) going on, cluttered with all kinds of details and the composition is non-existence...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway - I thought I would close this tread with two more pictures from the same day / place. Just to show how good Photomatix is in bringing out textures. Thats why I took these shots, to see how much texture I could show.

The first one - #4 is a pix of the dock-base. The first support of the dock, near land is usually made out of stone or cast in concrete. This one, made out of local granit, hand formed by stone-macen in the early days (This area here is well known to have exported a lot of granit-blocks around 1910 to 1930 to Europe for building-purposes. I fact, just about 300 yards from where I live there is the rest of a small stone-quarry where stone-macen "carved" out specially ordered granit-blocks for Albert Speer, A. Hitler's personal architect. These stone-blocks where supposed to be for a German pre-war fantasy-building for A. H.).

#4 - Again, I like the reflections on the water.

The next one is the same pile of stones, but a more detailed shot.

#5 - Here one can see the high content of iron-ore in the granit. The brownish colour is of cours rusty ore, but just at the level of water / air. Below the surface there is not enough oxygen to build rust.

Have a nice day, folks!

Quote: "Buying a camera doesn't make you a photographer. - It makes you a camera owner".
You may look up my small portfolio on the Norwegian photo-forum: http://walter_s.foto.no/ - click - "LATEST" on left bottom of page.
You may then click any thumbnail to view the picture and click again on the displayed picture for an unobstructed full screen view. Enjoy!

Last edited by Walter_S; Sep 29, 2009 at 3:33 PM. Reason: Spelling errors removed...
Old Sep 29, 2009, 5:38 PM   #18

"Thanks, Calicajun - I just wonder - you said that you liked #2 - any reason for that? Its a relly messy picture IMO, with a lot (too much, really) going on, cluttered with all kinds of details and the composition is non-existence..."

Easy, I can't count. Meant to say 3rd picture, the one looking under the dock.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2009, 6:41 PM   #19

You guys are making it very difficult for me to bad mouth HDR. I am not happy about this. Previously, 95 percent of the HDR I've seen is the kind of garish crap that I could easily duplicate with various PS filters, while the stuff I see on this site is damned good. I am not happy, and wish you people would post some real garbage, so I can resume insulting HDR practitioners...

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2009, 5:08 PM   #20

Default Down by the river - with apologies to 'The Boss' !!

Hate to dissapoint you Chato / Dave but here is another one. May be this one is to your (dis)liking - so that you can bad-mouth about 'real garbage'-HDR ?

Smallboat-harbour with parking spot for your bike and granit staircase for your dinghy...

The sun just dissappeared below the horizon - and nature is opening up it's pastell colour-box for us to see. Those magic minutes when everything is mellow, warm and cosy.......Enjoy! its only going to last for 5 minutes, when cold and steely colors are taking over the scene!

Last edited by Walter_S; Oct 1, 2009 at 5:10 PM. Reason: Spelling errors removed..