Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Sep 27, 2009, 4:37 PM   #1

Default The Visitors

Hey guys and gals! Here's a picture I worked on earlier, I thought it was a cool concept but the execution didn't turn out as smoothly as I had hoped.

It's actually two pictures, the background picture (I know, it's a bit high on gain, it was really dark in the building) is from an abandoned school in Rodessa Louisiana, and the Mascots are from a local football game. I liked their poses, and being a fan of creepy images, wanted to make it into something sort of dark.

The only thing is, my photoshop know-how sort of limited the quality of the image. I was hoping you guys could give me some constructive criticism, and tell me how I could improve this image.

I think the difference in lighting is the culprit, but I'm not sure how to fix it.

Any advice at all is appreciated.

Here's a link to it at DeviantArt, for those that might care:
http://jamie-wendigo.deviantart.com/...tors-138438515

Thanks!
Jerolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2009, 5:05 PM   #2

Heck, I love this image. Paste something into the white areas at the end - Keep to the surealistic theme, but keep it low key as to not detract from the sinister aura. Great stuff! I do NOT want to encounter these guys at 2AM under the Brooklyn Bridge!

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2009, 8:04 PM   #3

Its an odd image indeed. But I like it. My only advice is to be careful on the edges of your pasted layer. blending it in the background layer is crucial if you want it to look natural. As you have done here, there is a whitish outline of a few pixels showing that they are pasted in. But the average person wouldnt notice. Its an amusing somewhat bizarre image. Good imagination. Just came to me, it reminds me of a CSI: Las Vegas episode about people dressed up as animals.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2009, 12:48 AM   #4

spooky straight out of a horror movie the grain / noise adds to it i think , by removing this you may will loose what you have achieved
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2009, 10:39 PM   #5

Thanks for the kind words! Next time I do something like this, I will be more mindful of my edges.

Heck, I may go back someday and re-edit it.
Jerolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2009, 10:03 PM   #6

Default The Visitors....revisited

I went back a few nights ago and re-tooled this photo...image...whatever you want to call it.

I fixed some of the edges, "weird" lighting problems, and made the noise more uniform. I think the result is more natural looking, what do you guys and gals think?

Old Nov 25, 2009, 8:54 AM   #7

Cropped in B/W. Spooky.
Attached Images

pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2009, 7:09 PM   #8

I think it's a cool idea, well executed and original. Although you want that dark / dusty look (mysterious / scarey) - I'm not sure - but maybe a bit more contrast and saturation (colour) would still benefit...? Hmmm..

Also, I agree with Chato - to paste something into the area at the end of the hall.. .something like a dark / sinister shape (perhaps best silhouetted... along the lines of an "alien" / "predator" monster ready to attach!) Ha ha... Yes.

Paul
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2009, 10:38 AM   #9

Looks like a scene from Dr. Who Great work.
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote