Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Sep 30, 2009, 3:13 AM   #1

Default 230 and the first weekend

Here are a couple of fooling around pics...ANY comments are welcome...I am NOT sure about the clarity of the 18-55 lens...
Attached Images

littlejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 30, 2009, 3:17 AM   #2

here's a few more...again a little unclear...am I expecting too much from the 230???
Attached Images

Old Sep 30, 2009, 3:32 AM   #3
Super Moderator

It's hard to go into detail when you have a selection of shots so better if you just post a single one when you are in this section but here are a few general comments.

Make sure shots are straight, 1 and 3 are skewed.

Try to find more interesting angles than you would see normally with your own eyes, this will involve being creative and you will likely find yourself laying on the ground, climbing on things etc.

Think about composition, what you include what you don't, where you positing the main elements etc.

As for the clarity aspect of the lens, if you've just got a 230 and have moved from a P&S then you will often find that a dSLR looks to be softer as there is not as much in camera sharpening taking place.

If you want to crop a section of a photo that is say 700x700 pixels and post it here so we can see the full size we will be able to say from experience how it is looking.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2009, 3:33 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Seems you posted even more while I was writing, I must write faster.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2009, 7:17 AM   #5

I used Auto Color, Exposure, Shadow & Highlight, and finished off with Unsharp Mask. My main concern with this shot is the composition. Not sure what the main focus is on. I dont think the road should have been blocked by that small hanuka bush. Moving a bit to the right would have fixed that or standing on the other side of it.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2009, 9:09 AM   #6

littlejohn-

I usually use f/8 or f/11 for landscape shots. Also, you might want to find out the sweet spot for your lens. SLRGear.com hasn't tested your lens yet, but you might be able to find the info somewhere I think.

For example, I use the Zuiko 14-54mm Mark l lens. To get the sharpest image, I use f/4 at the widest and f/5.6 on the telephoto end.

- Hiro
hiro1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2009, 11:47 AM   #7
Super Moderator

that is actually a good kit lens. it is much sharper than their previous offering. so you need not worry about the resolving power of that lens. of course it will be better stopped down than wide open.

as was mentioned as you come from ps to dslr, you will notice that your images look softer. thats because of the less aggressive in-camera sharpening on dslr compared to ps. this assumes you will do some post-processing on your dslr images and that you will do the sharpening yourself. so if you have not begun to do so, start learning to use whatever image-editor you have, and if you do not have one, get one. it will make a big difference in your final images.

but of course, the thing that will improve your pictures the most is just learning what makes a good photograph, developing your own style and just shooting. there are alot of online resources that can teach you the basics of composition, lighting, etc. make use of them. and then practice, practice, the techniques. and by practice, i mean not just go out and snap 100 shots randomly. take your time, get an idea ahead of time what you want to accomplish and then make it happen. i know that i have shot over 100 shots of 1 building just to get the effect i wanted. you learn alot when you focus your practice.

wow, that was longer than i intended, enjoy your new photographic tool, and look forward to more pics.

and yes if you want critiques, post just 1 at a time

=)
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2009, 6:15 PM   #8

Good stuff...thanks guys...The reason I posts a few, was to show you what I am concerned about, the sharpness of the lens.

And you did explain it well thanks.

I know that I need to do more composing and I did that with the dog and the trap...but since I am trying out the camera, I didn't spend a lot of time. Perhaps that is the better way of determining whether its suitable for the kinds of shots I am interested in. I guess that really my question.

Interesting comment on the 'level' of 1 & 3..I'll have to watch that...

And also I am interested in the comments about moving from P&S to SLRs...thanks again...