Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 2, 2009, 1:52 PM   #1

Default Moon Shot

Ok I am taking the plunge with my first Photo post. This was taken with a Reble Xli that was stolen at a wedding a few weeks ago. The photos from this were amazing. Please tell me what you all think about it.

Last edited by Borthar; Oct 2, 2009 at 4:02 PM. Reason: Conform to board policy
Borthar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2009, 2:01 PM   #2
Administrator

We're prefer it if you didn't embed images that large in the forums. So, I've removed the img tags from around the photo and left a link in place instead.

That's a roughly 5MB file size, which is going to present a problem with page load times for many users (not everyone has high speed internet access). You may want to consider using .jpeg versus .bmp files instead.

That image is also larger in dimensions (it's 1680x1050 pixels) than we like to see embedded in forum posts. Keep in mind that many members don't have higher resolution displays (especially laptop and netbook users), meaning that they'd need to scroll to see the entire image at once. Keep in mind that the most common monitor resolution being used by internet users is still around 1024x768 pixels. That also means that they'd need to scroll left and right to see any responses in the same thread (since the width of the text in the thread will go as wide as the image size).

So, we're prefer it if you kept file sizes down to around 256KB or lower, and image dimensions down to around 800 pixels on their longest side (going no more than around 1024 pixels) if you're embedding an image in a forum post here. Using a file type of jpeg and a quality setting of around 80 percent will usually keep file sizes within limits for images that are around 800 pixels on their longest side. Otherwise (you want members to see a larger, higher resolution version), please just use a link to the image instead of embedding it a forum post.

Thanks
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2009, 2:02 PM   #3

shrunk it for you

ah jim sorry mate must have been uploading to imageshack as you posted resized again

Last edited by simple; Oct 2, 2009 at 2:07 PM.
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2009, 2:08 PM   #4
Administrator

Thanks!
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2009, 4:02 PM   #5

The one simple did is after I got Photoshop involved and inverted it so you could see the details.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 8:10 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borthar View Post
Ok I am taking the plunge with my first Photo post. This was taken with a Reble Xli that was stolen at a wedding a few weeks ago. The photos from this were amazing. Please tell me what you all think about it.
]
If you notice, you blew out all the details. This is because the moon is almost as bright as a daylight shot. So, for example, at ISO 400, I would shoot at 1/200.

Meanwhile, your poor light meter is saying, "slower, slower," and we believe the lying stinking light meter...

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2009, 9:17 PM   #7

This is a shot I took using my Oly SP590UZ w/ TCON-17

Not a lot of cropping done on this
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2009, 9:32 PM   #8

Everybody takes a shot of the moon at one time or another. 99% of those shots range from ok to crappy. The 1% of great shots usually involve some nice equipment like a telescope. Google moon and you can get some ideas as to what is possible and how to shoot it properly so you can get that incredible detail.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote