Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 6, 2009, 2:02 PM   #1

Default A 'peek' into someones backyard...

I'm a bit unsure about this shot.

I kind'a like it - The 'charm' of the motive, the colors, the mood created by the low evening-sun - but should I have left out the house on the left? Does the green trash-container steal too much attention?

Any suggestions?

I'v got another one in portrait-format, without the neighboring port and garbage-container, but I still keep coming back to the 1st one...
Attached Images

Quote: "Buying a camera doesn't make you a photographer. - It makes you a camera owner".
Curious about my photography?
You may look up my small portfolio on the Norwegian photo-forum: http://walter_s.foto.no/ - click - "LATEST" on left bottom of page.
You may then click any thumbnail to view the picture and click again on the displayed picture for an unobstructed full screen view. Enjoy!
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2009, 2:32 PM   #2

I prefer the first one. On the other hand, the eye on the first shot is drawn right into the ally way, and the rest of the shot is "invisible." The portrait mode, (which for some reason doesn't do anything for me) is the location I'd put the ally in the landscape mode shot.

In any case, I like the shot.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2009, 9:14 PM   #3

Why are the colors so much more vibrant in the first? I think if they were the same in the second, Id like it better.

That or just darken the area where the dumpster is in the first so its not so evident
JakAHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2009, 1:18 AM   #4

Default JackAHearts

The second one was not PP'd in any way, while the 1st one is a rendition of 3 shots put together (HDR). The second shot was only posted as an afterthought.

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

Old Oct 8, 2009, 4:25 AM   #5

So you can't edit a photo after converting it to HDR?
KeithHorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2009, 7:22 AM   #6

I thought your first shot was an HDR because every pixel is so well exposed and the details are excellent. My eyes can wander all over it and just soak things in such as the setting sunlight on the right hand gate. The only thing wrong with the pic is the subject. Its kinda boring and for me, doesnt seem complete but just a part of something bigger. It would probably be less so if it was part of a series of pics showing the towns architecture. The pic is an excellent example of HDR and should stiffle those critics who are dead set against it.

Last edited by Bynx; Oct 8, 2009 at 7:25 AM.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2009, 9:56 AM   #7

Default More HDR-renditions to come:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
...The pic is an excellent example of HDR and should stiffle those critics who are dead set against it.
Ahhh, how i love your very wise words and your experienced judgement, Bynx! It's like music in my ears. I just love the possibilities that HDR gives us photographers to be able to play the (almost) entire range of vaues from the darkest black to the whitest whites, all in one picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
...It would probably be less so if it was part of a series of pics showing the towns architecture...
O.K. if you guys can take it, I will make it a series, since I have several shots made in the same area the same late afternoon while the sun was going down, all looking at architectural issues. Mainly older types of house-building, with building-styles that are forgotten and lost forever. I try to take care of these architectural pearls for posterity.

Her is another one:

Thank you for watching - and please express your views on the pictures as well as on the use of HDR for shots like these.

Thanks also to Chato / Dave for praising another HDR-rendering (#1 above) - I know your views on the issue and appreciate your consent!
---------------------------------------------------------
O.K.: According to Bynx'es suggestion (in the next posting...) - he says "Next time you do this post the original mid range shot beside your HDR so we can see the difference" I'll do just that. The mid-range (0 EV) photo untouched by Photoshop:
Attached Images

Quote: "Buying a camera doesn't make you a photographer. - It makes you a camera owner".
Curious about my photography?
You may look up my small portfolio on the Norwegian photo-forum: http://walter_s.foto.no/ - click - "LATEST" on left bottom of page.
You may then click any thumbnail to view the picture and click again on the displayed picture for an unobstructed full screen view. Enjoy!

Last edited by Walter_S; Oct 8, 2009 at 12:09 PM.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 10:13 AM   #8

you cant hate hdr someone can over do it but you cant hate it . walter i love the way the sun hits the front of the building you can see every tile on that roof

i admit i overdo hdr and thats why there are haters over the next few week i plan on taking some images and doing the hdr so you will question is it hdr or not thats if i can stop myself going overboard LOL
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2009, 10:56 AM   #9

Amazing detail again on your latest shot. Next time you do this post the original mid range shot beside your HDR so we can see the difference. The nice thing about HDR is you can go back and go overboard. You can make the final anyway you want. The first person you please is yourself. If others feel the same way thats good, if not, thats good too. The Flat Earth Society still exists despite the fact there is evidence the world is really a ball. Some people can never be convinced, even when they see it.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2009, 1:57 PM   #10

I'm speechless. What HDR can do for photographs is extraordinary. I still remember the hours in the darkroom trying to (hand) under or over expose b&w negatives to get a balanced copy. I just got the 30 days Photomatix’s trial and will begin playing with it. The second pick is my choice. Look at that sky, the saturated colours… Great, Walter!
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote