Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 6, 2009, 2:45 PM   #1

Default Can't make up my mind about this shot

This shot, doesn't work as a wildlife shot. It's a Snowy Egret, deep in the marsh, sitting a dock that floated into the marsh, and was embedded in a depression. The shot was dark, and I kept in dark. Light beams penetrate this little pool, but it is rarely lit up.

I call it, "Brooding," and it inspires intenses feelings when I look at it. But then again, I have ten years of associations with this place.

What is the reaction of others to this image?

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2009, 2:51 PM   #2

It confuses me, Dave. My eye is drawn immediately to the egret but then almost as fast to whatever it is he's resting on. Then, back to the bird.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2009, 3:41 PM   #3

I like the shot, but something is not quite right with it IMO. Maybe if you lighten up the left side of the bird a little?
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2009, 4:32 PM   #4

I said to myself not to replay your posts, but nobleza obliga. This image is just plain beautiful. I don't care sharpness and technical issues. It's beautiful because it talks to my old heart.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2009, 4:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
I said to myself not to replay your posts, but nobleza obliga. This image is just plain beautiful. I don't care sharpness and technical issues. It's beautiful because it talks to my old heart.
Much appreciated.

This image releases my hidden tendancy to anthropomorphise. This marsh, looks the way it did when Henry Hudson first appeared in New York. Is the bird sitting there and brooding over the garbage floating into this once pristine place? Is he standing there wondering what it's all about?

Actually, if he's wondering about anything, he's wondering if the oncoming hi tide is going to bring in some fish. But it's a strange and dark hole, and takes about ten minutes to walk a few hundred feet to get there. And it's dark in there. The pool, lower than the surrounding area, is about 12 feet below the tops of the eel grass.

Dave
Old Oct 6, 2009, 4:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugmar View Post
I like the shot, but something is not quite right with it IMO. Maybe if you lighten up the left side of the bird a little?
That's the way it looks, and the only thing I did was to crop, and eliminate the noise.

Dave