Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 8, 2009, 2:33 PM   #1

Default Here's my dragonfly : )

These creatures which appeal to every child (as it did to me!) can also make good subjects for hdr I suppose : )

(You may need to push the page slider to righthandside due to the width of the image which is 1200px.)

Encouraged by the kind responses regarding the details here I submit a %100 crop from one of the raw originals, whose shadow slider was increased by nearly %50 at PS.

Last edited by bahadir; Oct 9, 2009 at 5:27 PM.
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2009, 2:45 PM   #2

Amazing pick. I many times ask myself what's for the extraordinary diversity of life forms. I was told by a biologist that adn coincidences between that bug and human beings is about 99% or more.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2009, 2:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahadir View Post
These creatures which appeal to every child (as it did to me!) can also make good subjects for hdr I suppose : )

(You may need to push the page slider to righthandside due to the width of the image which is 1200px.)

A couple of things. First you lost a lot of color in the translation to the Web, I'm going to post my version and even that loses some color. But you could make this guy sharper, and I suggest you lower the saturation of "reds" in order to do this...

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2009, 3:08 PM   #4

Great shot. The detail in the wings is fantastic.
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2009, 3:29 PM   #5

bahadir thats an amazing shot of the dragon fly hdr ? would it stay still long enough maybe i guess? or a psuedo ? personally i think dragon flys are the best the way they are thanks for sharing

i have done a ldr enhancement on your shot to see if hdr would work cos you got me thinking???

i like the original bahadir i just did this to see if it would work certian things dont require editing my friend and your shot is one of them the dragon flys i have seen (but never photograph ) are always bright and beutiful making them duller doesnt work for me

Last edited by simple; Oct 8, 2009 at 3:37 PM.
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2009, 3:56 PM   #6

Default Wow!

Perfect dragonfly-shot, Bahadir!!

How do you train insects to keep still for 4 seconds it takes to shoot all 3 exposures for a HDR?

Well done , my friend!

So thats what you have been up to - traing insects. Ee havn't seen as much of you lately as we would have liked!

Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2009, 3:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
Perfect dragonfly-shot, Bahadir!!

How do you train insects to keep still for 4 seconds it takes to shoot all 3 exposures for a HDR?

Well done , my friend!

So thats what you have been up to - traing insects. Ee havn't seen as much of you lately as we would have liked!

i agree hope all is well
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2009, 8:17 PM   #8

Wonderful shot, Bahadir! I tend to agree with Dave on the red being a little over-saturated, but all the images, including yours, are very good. I noticed you shot this at 70mm, which lens did you use to get this sharp image?

Robert
Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2009, 9:07 PM   #9

Dragonflies are usually only seen on hot summer days, which is the feeling given by the exposure you use in your shot. Great detail in the wings, must be a new lens.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2009, 5:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
Amazing pick. I many times ask myself what's for the extraordinary diversity of life forms. I was told by a biologist that adn coincidences between that bug and human beings is about 99% or more.
Thank you! Actually the diversity you spoke of really amazes me each time I think of it! Ah, that's what mother nature is asking for perhaps : )

.................................................. ..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chato View Post
A couple of things. First you lost a lot of color in the translation to the Web, I'm going to post my version and even that loses some color. But you could make this guy sharper, and I suggest you lower the saturation of "reds" in order to do this...Dave

Thank you for taking your time for the feedback and the edit. In fact, publishing an image in aRGB on the web, say at flickr or in any web site, one should be expecting a considerable colour loss. Yet, I must say I haven't been experiencing this for a some time. Now, I bring the original file and the one I posted here at steve's sidebyside, they look quite identical As for the edit, it looks somewhat sharper but a bit much contrasty and less vibrant than the real experience. Again thanks for the reminders.

.................................................. ............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugmar View Post
Great shot. The detail in the wings is fantastic.
Thank you for your insightful feedback, which I quite appreciate : )

Last edited by bahadir; Oct 9, 2009 at 5:37 PM.
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote