Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 10, 2009, 1:27 PM   #1

Default Two nights later....

From the same vantage point where I took these: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/la...r-evening.html

Only two nights later.

The clouds were beautiful in person, but I just couldn't get all their color. If I went longer, trying to catch the subtle colors in the darker contrast, I got over exposure.....and if I tried to control those bright areas, I lost those colors

When the clouds are flat on the bottom, I don't have this problem because of course, the light is more uniform upon them.
Any ideas?

eddie haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2009, 1:37 PM   #2

Great looking sky, don't care much for the shore line on the right side of the picture. The shore line being so dark looks more like a wall than part of the landscape. Do like the colors in that sky, could sit and watch that sunset go with no problem.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2009, 1:47 PM   #3

fire in the sky fantastic sunset
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2009, 2:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calicajun View Post
Great looking sky, don't care much for the shore line on the right side of the picture. The shore line being so dark looks more like a wall than part of the landscape. Do like the colors in that sky, could sit and watch that sunset go with no problem.
Well....I think your observation is the crux of my dilemma.....

I tried to turn away from the "blowing influences" in the scene (the bright sun effects) with the hope of gathering in more uniform coloring. Here, look at this shot of a full frontal sky, ARG..............

eddie haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2009, 3:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calicajun View Post
It does look like a wall, but it never occurred to me that it's not natural. To my mind it sets off the sky, gives the image more depth, and forces the eye to see the entire composition as a unity.

Err, to cut to the chase, I like it just the way it is.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2009, 1:54 PM   #6

What about a two or three shot pano of that sunset? The first one feels cramped and the second one is just a little too empty, but the two together would be a winner. I know, easier said than done.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote