Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 18, 2009, 4:05 AM   #1

Default HDR : 40s house

Here's a nearby house, built during the 40s, currently used only during summer.
Is it just me or does it look cozy?

Here's the middle bracket picture.

Flikkaarrrr
Acapulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 18, 2009, 4:17 AM   #2

Unless you were going for a really surreal effect, I think you may have gone a bit overboard with the HDR effect in this one. Note the halo around the tree-line. The effect is a bit too strong for my taste.

- Jason
Illuminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2009, 5:18 AM   #3

Default Cozy? No - it's turned scary... :o/

If you want to go for "cozy" then you have gone way overbord with the HDR-rendering. The effect you have there is IMO mor "scary" and "surreal" than cozy.

May be you should have developed the second shot more and used it as it is, levelling the horizon and maybe tweek a little. Maybe even applied an Orthon Effect to it - I'm sure this would have helped.

But, hey, this is just my humble opinion. Somebody else will probably love it...

Oh, my! How easy it is to critisize othes pictures, while on your own pictures one is usually dumbfolded....

Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2009, 7:34 AM   #4

As an HDR, my only complaint is the halo around the trees. You can reduce this or remove it completely by use of the Smoothing buttons. Choosing one more to the right will decrease the effect. But I like the colors of this shot and you can see more details than your average shot.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2009, 11:19 AM   #5

Hehe, very sorry about this particular image. I uploaded the wrong one. I have like 6 different HDRs of this particular one and when I uploaded I picked the wrong one, and I had a bit of a rush getting away from the computer and didn't realize I uploaded the wrong image.
Not at home right now, but when I do, I'll upload the correct one for the matter I was posting. (The coziness)

Thanks for your comments BTW

Flikkaarrrr
Old Oct 18, 2009, 11:28 AM   #6

just slide the luminosity to the left but is =f its wrong it doesnt matter
Old Oct 18, 2009, 2:32 PM   #7

Here's a Photographic take of a HDR instead of a "grunge" look as the one before.

Hope you like it

Here's also a new "dramatic" look. I can't get the Halo reduced less than that, I promise you. This particular setting can't wipe get away without a bit of Halo. I never have difficulty in dealing with in with other HDRs. Wierd.

And BTW. How am I doing Image size wise? Anybody want me to go down to 800x600 instead?

Flikkaarrrr

Last edited by Acapulco; Oct 18, 2009 at 3:03 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 2:57 PM   #8

acapulco: I think you're over tweaking. If you look at the best hdr's here, you'll see they never over tweak the picks. HDR is meant first to mimic the great dymamic range of the human eye, not to paint picks with surrealistic colors.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2009, 3:05 PM   #9

I put your pic through Photomatix again.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2009, 3:13 PM   #10

I don't want to stomp on any toes, but Ordo, which HDRs (If you link them that would be very nice) is the best here? Everybody has their own opinions and of course some subjects will look better/worse depending on setting used.
For example, a Las Vegas Neon Sign would probably look more "at home" with a over-the-top artistic look , whereas a mountain-side in Aspen would look ridiculous with that kind of "grunge" look.

I'm of course not putting down your opinion one bit, Ordo, I appreciate that I get even one response on my HDRs, and your opinion (negative or positive) is helping either way. I, myself, is a bit of a pleaser I believe. I always try to please everybody in such a way I might hinder myself from showing exactly what I want.

One example might be Bynx recent post. His re-processed image looks too processed to be a photographic HDR whereas it looks great for him. And for him, my grunge HDR (as I got it from his comments) it was way to grungy, so I made one, which was not as grungy.
Bynx, if I have stated wrong in my comment, PLEASE correct me as I don't want you to take offense

Wow... long post.. sorry about that

Flikkaarrrr