Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 27, 2009, 11:28 AM   #11

Whaaaayyyyy Hi Everyone.
What about this, any better??? Got rid of the Ferns in the foreground Burnt in the black silhouette of the trees uped the saturation on the sky. All without leaving the house, yipeeeeeeeeee. any better doo yo tink ?? regards mmmmmarko
Attached Images

condiment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2009, 11:51 AM   #12

Ah – ha. There-in lies the rub; Removing a weed or moving a branch, try moving the camera.

One you removed a “weed” (which is part of the ecosystem that feeds the rest of the environment), or moving a branch (how are you to know what damage that causes) you have started the process of change. You think it is small. And it is. So, instead; CHANGE YOUR COMPOSITON.

I DO stay on the path. I DO NOT step on flowers or weeds or slugs on the path. I step around. I recompose. This is NOT simplistic. It is being responsible.

I am not picking on you. Yours was an innocent comment that many people would make without implying a destructive nature. I think what you were trying to imply is that it is OK to change something that is less significant that you your presents would otherwise cause. But by taking that action, you have done just the opposite.

We all need to get out of the habit of thinking we can change what we don’t like to suite us. I take pride in getting the landscape as it is with weeds, rocks, dead limbs and all. I will not move in too close or clap my hands to get a bird-in-flight photo either.

Most outdoor photographers are tree-huggers. This would be an interesting discussion in its own thread.

Garry
GSFinlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2009, 2:17 PM   #13

Hi Gary,
Gues we all have our levels of being environmentally friendly or not. It's not something I want to get involved in. or justify my position.
"Removing a weed or moving a branch, try moving the camera" Thats great but if theres something you didnt see at the time of taking the pic, I'm happy to be able to tidy it up in a digital darkroom later. gives more hours of fun to the hobby when being outside and taking pics may not be possible. Cheeeeeers mark
condiment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2009, 7:22 PM   #14

I prefer the first photo. It is more natural. The starkness of the bare limbs contrast well with the blue sky to the left which changes to what would be too-bright-to-stare-at sun glare on the right. My attention follows the limbs to the trunks then to the shadows that combine with the grass, foreground foliage and rocks.

I hope you don’t think my previous comments were anyway directed to you, condiment. I only wanted to protect the tramping of an inocent weed.

Garry
GSFinlay is offline   Reply With Quote