Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Oct 30, 2009, 10:46 AM   #1

Default The Fairytail-Woods of Middle-Earth - see the elfes...?

Well, no, my friends - It's not something out of J. J. R. Tolkien - (though it could be...) - and there are no elves in reality, but if you study this shot for a while - I'm sure you'll see plenty of elves and other fantasy-creatures.

I came across this patch of woods on one of my camera-outings, when looking for motives. The sun was pretty low on the horizon and suddendly there was this rather dark patch where the low sun-rays just pierced the dark and shone on some rather pretty foliage and some rocks.

My vivid imagination told me to take a few pics - which I did, and here is the result:

Below the original untouched shot:

Attached Images

Quote: "Buying a camera doesn't make you a photographer. - It makes you a camera owner".
Curious about my photography?
You may look up my small portfolio on the Norwegian photo-forum: http://walter_s.foto.no/ - click - "LATEST" on left bottom of page.
You may then click any thumbnail to view the picture and click again on the displayed picture for an unobstructed full screen view. Enjoy!

Last edited by Walter_S; Oct 30, 2009 at 6:30 PM. Reason: Editing out spelling errors.... :o/
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 30, 2009, 11:35 AM   #2
Super Moderator

nice lighting, and it seems like you have this processing down pretty well. i like it.

the only thing i might consider is working on the sky a little. maybe slightly darken it, or mess with the colors a little bit. not a big deal though, and may not be worth messing with.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2009, 11:54 AM   #3

Nice Photo shot here Walter... Yes I can see the Elves and Fairies dancing atop the lit patch and some that are in hiding as well... or maybe a few gnomes there.
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2009, 1:05 PM   #4

Hi Walter.
Another amazing pic from you. I found myself crouching and looking in wonder at what could be in this magic wood. Incredible how the original i would have flipped past not feeling any interest in, but what you have done to the pic is amazing.
It's great to see you took your pic with a compact and what amazing results can be obtained without needing an expensive SLR. great work, very inspiring. mark
condiment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2009, 5:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
...is working on the sky a little. maybe slightly darken it, or mess with the colors a little bit...
Yes, Hard80 I was actually thinking of how to dampen that bleak look of the sky there, but don't know how to do that. After all, the sky in this picture is not (regretable) one big area of sky, but hundreds of small specks and blotches, dividet by twigs and branches - an impossible task to select the sky in one mask, in order to darken it.

Any suggestions of how to go about?

And thank you for your constructive, fair and well-ment criticisme.

Old Oct 30, 2009, 5:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpShotGal View Post
...Yes I can see the Elves and Fairies dancing atop the lit patch... or maybe a few gnomes there.
Why, thank you, SSG! - I'm glad you were successfull in finding these cute things - it takes special eye-sight and a special mind to recognize Elves - you know?

Thank you for your kind words!
Old Oct 30, 2009, 5:46 PM   #7

Default I appreciate your comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by condiment View Post
...you took your pic with a compact and what amazing results can be obtained without needing an expensive SLR. ...
Thank you for all the kind words and your appreciation of my pictures. I guess, not having a dSLR (because I cannot afford the one I'd like...) gives me an extra push to deliver more - just to be able to hold my head up high with the 'big-gun'-boys here. No, its just a joke really.

I tell you what, condiment. My Panasonic FZ-28 was first price I won for going tops in a competition, sposored by a Norwegian boat-forum, where re-building an old boat was the competition-issue.

The project (which took 2 years to finnish...!): http://baatplassen.no/i/index.php?showtopic=40375

If I wanted - they gave me a choice - I could have chosen a double lens-kit of a dSLR - as long as I stayed within 1.000,- $' worth - but I chose the FZ-28 for its handyness, small size and perfect lens with all the zoom I will ever need.

BTW: My newly rebuild boat (all new from the gunwhale up) was lauched just the other day (last Saturday)!

The launch of my boat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4LHnojOhXI

Thank's again for your encouragement, condiment!

P.S.: I hope, I'm not breeching any rules her, posting URL's to matters of private nature - If I do, I apologize!

Old Oct 30, 2009, 6:53 PM   #8

Always wonder where the Elfes lived, now I know.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2009, 7:17 PM   #9

Blue skies smilin' at me
Nothin' but blue skies do I see
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2009, 7:24 PM   #10

Just saw your boat launching. Is that you in the white jacket taking pictures?
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote