Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 6, 2009, 11:33 AM   #1

Default My first HDR attempt

After seeing all the really cool HDR pics on this thread, I decided to give it a try. Of course, as in most things I decided to shoot first and ask questions later :P Here are my results (first is straight out of the camera mid range shot, second is the HDR)

Now the questions. First, what do you think of the composition and resulting shot? I was looking for a quick spot to do some testing, and this is a little stream behind my house. Post processing included saturation, sharpening, and cropping. Second, I was using exposure bracketing on my 50D and switch from +/-1 to +/-2. Any tips on optimal range or does it really depend on the subject? Did this shot lend itself to HDR or was there not enough range in the shot? Finally, I don't want to invest too much money in software, so I downloaded Picturenaut to do this. Any comments or suggestions on free HDR software? Thanks in advance...

Jason
jschoenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2009, 1:21 PM   #2

I dont really see anything in the composition that is particularly interesting. As to the optimal range that will depend upon the brightest and darkest areas. Shooting into direct sunlight from the dark side of a tree is an extreme example of wide range. I think you have covered the range nicely here. There is a blown out highlight running down the small tree on the right side so a faster shutter speed exposure would be necessary to get rid of that. Does this shot lend itself to HDR? You dont have to answer the question, just look at the results. I think those colors are very natural and not over the top as is the tendency to do with HDR. Its not a great scene but for what it is its a great HDR. One thing to watch out for are objects too close to the camera when taking shots with a long depth of field. That small tree and a few leaves are out of focus.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 4:08 PM   #3

Thanks for commenting Bynx. I agree there could've been a more interesting locale - oh well. I also agree about the blown highlight and oof tree on the right, so I cropped. I also attempted to add an 'Orton' effect. Improvement? Too overprocessed? For my part, I like this version best:
Old Nov 6, 2009, 4:36 PM   #4

Now that is very nice. I agree with you. Its the best one.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 5:43 PM   #5

All well and good, but it looks more like a watercolor than an HDR shot.

But I have a question, between your midrange shot, and your first HDR shot, which was truer to the actual scene?

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 9:37 PM   #6

Thanks for commenting Dave. I believe the first HDR shot most accurately represents the view on my walk. I'm curious why you ask. My intent with this photo was not to provide a journalistic/documentary view of the location, but more to capture the feeling or mood of the location.

IMHO, the first HDR most accurately captures the visual representation (what I saw as I gazed down the creek bed), but the third attempt most accurately captures the feeling.
Old Nov 6, 2009, 10:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschoenr View Post
Thanks for commenting Dave. I believe the first HDR shot most accurately represents the view on my walk. I'm curious why you ask. My intent with this photo was not to provide a journalistic/documentary view of the location, but more to capture the feeling or mood of the location.

IMHO, the first HDR most accurately captures the visual representation (what I saw as I gazed down the creek bed), but the third attempt most accurately captures the feeling.
I ask, because I'm curious. Late in Fall, the non HDR image is how I see fallen leaves, whereas early in Fall, the HDR shot is more like reality. "Late in Fall" is defined by where a person actually lives.

Your last rendition, which I say looks like a watercolor, is very pleasing. No criticism intended.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2009, 2:34 PM   #8

Could I ask what you mean by HDR ?
bonjen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2009, 3:21 PM   #9

high dynamic range. google it
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2009, 3:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjen3 View Post
Could I ask what you mean by HDR ?

Check out this thread here where it says almost all about HDR (High Dynamic Range). It's mostly about http://forums.steves-digicams.com/cr...hotomatix.html

Good luck to you!
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote