Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 8, 2009, 12:20 AM   #1

Default 3 n 1 ......

In my study today (not that I learnt anytang) I wanted to experiment with the same subject, but with three different approaches, hoping to grasp the relationship of framing, in offering a more inviting, or intriguing, composition....
Lighting, and settings, were constant in all exposures. Please, I'd love to hear your take, on which of the three appeals more to you....THANXS
#1:

#2:

#3:
eddie haskell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2009, 12:27 AM   #2

Bwahahahahaha! You kidding? They're all wonderful shots - All of them. The first two are in my opinion better that the third. Which is not to say that I don't like the third...

But juxtaposed next to the first two, it looks a bit soft. On its own? Probably not.

Dave
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2009, 2:31 AM   #3
Super Moderator

i like the 2nd one out of this bunch. in the first one, the bottom of the glass is kind of floating in mid-air and the 3rd one is just a little too tight. but the 2nd one is balanced nicely and i like the composition across the diagonal.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2009, 3:38 AM   #4

If you are studying the photos and have not came up with any pointers I would say #1 needs a plate under the vase or some doily... so it will not seem to float... anything will seem to float on all black background and forefronts and be sure you have space between subject and edge so if one sees it and wishes to buy it to frame they will not be cutting off any part of subject...
#2 still the same as leave some space between subject and edge for framing other wise its a lovely close up of subject with out vase...
#3 is perfect in its own right but see that empty spot I would of filled it with the rest of the little purples some how and place more of the little purples in the upper area ... other wise great subect stuy you ahve going over there ....
SharpShotGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2009, 8:28 AM   #5

I dont like the heavy looking shadow in #1 as well as the floating point brought up by others. I really like #2 and 3. But again the shadow is a little much. Perhaps holding a white piece of paper to bounce some of that overhead light would help fill in a bit, just a bit. And Id like to see more sharpness.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2009, 11:19 AM   #6

Thank you guys so much, that was exactly the kind of input I was hoping for...
Funny, its so hard for me to see in my photograph what others see so readily, I guess it comes from already "thinking" about it while composing I loose the real obvious perspective, you know, the honest critical one
eddie haskell is offline   Reply With Quote