Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 8, 2009, 6:17 PM   #1
Super Moderator
 
Hards80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 9,046
Default Waiting for you (HDR Pano)

well, i blame this exerecise on Bynx, Simple, and Walter S.. hehe...

anyways, its my first real HDR attempt. Its actually a 2 photo stitched panoramic composed of 2 seperate HDR images compiled in Photomatrix 3 with 2 EV differences between each 3 steps.

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2009, 6:39 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Bynx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,638
Default

Composition wise Id like to see the bench facing inwards instead of outwards on the edge like that. Nice stitch job and aside from the bench problem I like the look. Two concerns though. It doesnt seem to have the sharpness of detail that the HDR usually produces. But with this site the way it changes our uploads I assume your posted pic is sharper on your screen. The other problem is a slight over saturation of color which is easily fixed. Youve captured the sunlight filtering throught the leaves nicely.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2009, 6:52 PM   #3
Super Moderator
 
Hards80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 9,046
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Composition wise Id like to see the bench facing inwards instead of outwards on the edge like that. Nice stitch job and aside from the bench problem I like the look. Two concerns though. It doesnt seem to have the sharpness of detail that the HDR usually produces. But with this site the way it changes our uploads I assume your posted pic is sharper on your screen. The other problem is a slight over saturation of color which is easily fixed. Youve captured the sunlight filtering throught the leaves nicely.
thnx bynx.

yea, i agree with the concerns. the shot just didn't work from the other side (ie bench facing in) as there were some unsightly man-made objects when i tried from that side. the softness mainly comes from 2 things. 1) it was windy 2) i shot these handheld as I didn't really go out with the intention of shooting this particular shot, and thus didnt have my tripod.

there are definitely some oversaturated parts going on. i am still learning the ins and outs of photomatix.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2009, 7:25 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Ordo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: BsAs
Posts: 3,452
Default

Good hdr subject. +1 on Bynx comments. Great first try!
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2009, 7:45 PM   #5
Super Moderator
 
Hards80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 9,046
Default

thnx ordo...

just figured out another problem with the sharpness. the +2 shots are 1/10, which is just too slow. lesson learned, always bring a tripod when doing hdr, and if you do attempt to do it handheld cuz you just grabbed your camera on the way to lunch, make sure your +EV image is still handholdable.........

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 12:44 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 2,193
Default

i like it that bench as some good character hand held you did extremley well ive tried hand held hdr and the best i can do is a psuedo LOL . the sharpness and colour can easily be fixed by a few minor tweaks .



is it possible to try one with the bench set further back? or will the obstructions be noticable?
__________________
Nikon D600 / Nikon 50 1.8 G / Nikon 85 1.8 G Always wanting more! MY FLICKR

Last edited by simple; Nov 9, 2009 at 12:50 AM.
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 10:25 AM   #7
Super Moderator
 
Hards80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 9,046
Default

thanks simple, the reds/oranges look much better.

i was playing with it last night, and thats pretty much what i came up with, though i kept the tree trunks darker. it seems that the Photomatix can easily oversaturate the red channel, as i was playing around with a few more photos with it too. is this a common occurrence, to oversaturate reds more than others?

also. about your composition question. there was a pool of water right behind me. if i would have had a longer lens, i could have been on the other side of it, and done this with maybe 3 photos versus 2 and i think it would have actually worked better that way, and would have allowed a little bit further placement of the bench in the scene. but with only 1 lens, this was best i could do.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 10:46 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Fredrikstad - Norway / Europe
Posts: 1,954
Default Wecome to the HDR-crowd - Hards80! :o)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
...i blame this exerecise on Bynx, Simple, and Walter S.
Well - I'm really proud to at least have contributed some, for you to start experimenting with HDR-exercises - which you apparently have found a most satisfy'ing way of doing already.

Congratulations on your first one here, and hope to see more of you with a new angle towards HDR. I think you did very well realy on this park-HDR-and-panorama-stich. I like the atmosphere, the warmth and the vivid colors.

Why do I get a feeling that the ground is tilting ever so slight to the left...?


......
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 10:50 AM   #9
Super Moderator
 
Hards80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 9,046
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
Well - I'm really proud to at least have contributed some, for you to start experimenting with HDR-exercises - which you apparently have found a most satisfy'ing way of doing already.

Congratulations on your first one here, and hope to see more of you with a new angle towards HDR. I think you did very well realy on this park-HDR-and-panorama-stich. I like the atmosphere, the warmth and the vivid colors.

Why do I get a feeling that the ground is tilting ever so slight to the left...?


......
thank you Walter.

the ground is actually tilting to the left. there is a raised path just out of frame leading down to a low area which you see. and some water behind where i shot. it made this shot difficult as i had little room to maneuver, and trying to keep all the man-made stuff out of frame as much as possible.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2009, 4:02 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Bynx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 8,638
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
Why do I get a feeling that the ground is tilting ever so slight to the left...?


......
Could it be one of your legs is shorter than the other?
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 7:45 PM.