Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 15, 2009, 12:27 PM   #1

Default football pics.

Hey guys...

I have been going out and shooting our local college football team. (American Football) It's really fun to shoot, but challenging at the same time. I'm attaching a couple photos, let me know what you think.

if you want to see all of them... you can view them here..

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...1&l=3a95f50d01
Attached Images

wrestlinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2009, 1:15 PM   #2

No doubt about it, football is challenging to shoot. Some feedback on your photos:

photo 1: try not to frame shots so you cut people off at the ankles. Additionally, like any other type of photography you want to frame a photo with regards towards elements that add to the story and leave out elements that distract from the story. In this photo the background is a large distraction. with sports that is often the case. So, with a shot like this one you want to frame in portrait orientation (people are more vertical than horizontal) and frame the shot much tighter. With portrait orientation you want to fill about 2/3 of the vertical frame with the subject - then you can crop even tighter.

shot 2: timing of the shot is very good - this is nice action. Again, though, the shot is framed too loosely - the two players at the marker are the story. The shot is also lacking much detail or sharpness. That's more likely a limitation of whatever camera you're using rather than a reflection of you as the photographer.

shot 3: Again you've caught some nice action. But, background is again a distraction. And the timing and framing of the shot is 'between stories'. It's a bit too early for the peak action of what looks like a good secondary hit. This is where it's beneficial to have a camera with good frame rate as you can't predict everything. Even 3fps should have captured the next shot which should be better action. Again, though, lack of detail is an issue.

You've got a good eye for action but right now the camera you're using isn't capable of keeping up with your eye - i.e. it's not doing it's job of capturing the action you're seeing. Which camera are you shooting with currently?
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2009, 7:21 PM   #3

unfortunately, I only have a Canon Rebel XT with a 300mm zoom. I was shooting from outside the fence of the grounds too, so I wasn't even on the sidelines, which hampered shots like crazy. I tried to get onto the sidelines, but wasn't able to. So I did the best with what I had.

Thanks for the feedback, seriously! I am really trying hard to make sports more of a hobby in shooting. I really enjoy it!
wrestlinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 8:41 AM   #4

Crop number 2 in tight on the players and ref and you have a really good shot.
pboerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 8:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pboerger View Post
Crop number 2 in tight on the players and ref and you have a really good shot.
Unfortunately it does not appear there is enough sharpness/detail to support that crop. That's the tough thing about sports photography - you can't crop as much as you would like to. You have more leway with the expensive lenses (like 300mm 2.8 or 400mm 2.8) because they're so sharp. With budget/consumer grade lenses you have to frame that tight to begin with.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote