Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 22, 2009, 2:40 PM   #1

Default House against low afternoon-sun...

...with some (almost!) burnt out sky-patches. There was this low mist on the horizon, with the sun shining through it. It was just too strong a difference between the lightened sky and the shadows-parts in this picture. I did make HDR's of all the different copies I have of this motive, but I couldn't get texture in the sky, because there was non - other than misty sunshine!!

So I left it at that - what you see is filtered sunshine.

Dynamic-Photo HDR:

However, I made another one with some Orton-Effect addet to it.

Photomatix Pro TC:

How rules the judge?

I'll just add one of the middle-shots, for you to see:
Attached Images

Quote: "Buying a camera doesn't make you a photographer. - It makes you a camera owner".
Curious about my photography?
You may look up my small portfolio on the Norwegian photo-forum: http://walter_s.foto.no/ - click - "LATEST" on left bottom of page.
You may then click any thumbnail to view the picture and click again on the displayed picture for an unobstructed full screen view. Enjoy!
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2009, 6:10 PM   #2

Walter: I'll be rude, sorry.
You're repeating yourself.
Change! Move on!
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2009, 9:32 PM   #3

Without the middle shot to compare it to, the first shot just looks like a good shot. The sky is overexposed but the rest is very good. But after seeing the middle shot, you can really see how good it is. As for the Orton effect, I dont think it works with photos having large areas of white.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2009, 6:25 AM   #4

Thank you, Bynx for your ever so constructive comments. I didn't realize that large areas of white don't work together well with the Orton-effect, but I see now what you mean - thank you, I'v learned a valuable lesson here.

Last edited by Walter_S; Nov 23, 2009 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Spelling error: Constractive instead of constructive... :o/
Old Nov 23, 2009, 7:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
Walter: I'll be rude, sorry.
You're repeating yourself.
Change! Move on!

Ordo:

Judging from your very blunt comments, I realize that my pictures bore you and / or don't appeal to your photographic taste.

I am at miss though, trying to figure out how this comment of yours is going to help me become a better photographer? After all thats why we come together here and post in this forum, to try to improove, increase our knowledge and thereby raise our standards and become better in time.

Its always easy to say "I don't like your pictures" and I fully accept that you are bored with them, thats your perogative - but I expect to hear why you dont like them.

- Is it that most of my postings are HDR's?
- Is it my (3rd time in a year) posting of an Orton-effect?
- Is it my motive of an old wooden-house? I must admit having posted several motives in the same genre, but houses like this appeal to my artistic sens and my seeking of harmony.
- Is it that I post very often (too much?) in the Critiques and Techniques-forum?

Tell me!

About repeating oneselfs: IMO it is only natural that one pictures motives that one cares about, has strong feelings for or has a special interest in. This interest is the drive for taking pictures of it. For me it is, anyway.

You and me have probably different opinions about what is worth picturing and what isn't, but as much as you so obviously detest what I do, as much will I continue doing what I do - unless you give me a very good reason not to.

Have nice day!
Old Nov 23, 2009, 10:44 AM   #6

No, no Walter. I absolutely love your picks! I'm always following your posts! But I feel you can grow up as a photographer if you search new motives. I mean: you can go on with your landscape mastering process (which all of us enjoy) and in the while try a couple of new image narrations. That could bring a refreshing breeze to your art.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 10:49 AM   #7

But of course, I may be wrong...
Old Nov 23, 2009, 11:23 AM   #8

I liked the first one. Then liked the Orton-effect even better. Especially the sharpness of the bushes in the foreground and the bright red (but not too much) color of the shed in the background and of course the green grass. I think they complement the austere but cozy-looking house in the center nicely.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2009, 2:36 PM   #9

Love these pics.
your houses look identical to the style of houses I have over here too.
Although since my weather aint treating me with nothing but resentment, no pics. of value is to be taken as of yet.

Flikkaarrrr
Acapulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2009, 6:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acapulco View Post
Love these pics.
your houses look identical to the style of houses I have over here too.
Although since my weather aint treating me with nothing but resentment, no pics. of value is to be taken as of yet.
Hey, this is the time to practice your studio shooting. Today I shot grapes.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote