Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 25, 2009, 6:45 PM   #1

Default Waterfall views

Hello all.

It's been a while since I've posted anything on these forums. So here goes, to break the drought!

Two weekends ago I went with a friend to Waterfall Gully, in Adelaide - to spend a Saturday morning making some photos. It got up to 40 degrees, early hot weather!

Here is the view of the waterfall from a viewing platform (I was quite happy with this outcome!) Taken with my good ol' Canon 350D using my trusty 28-135mm lens at wide angle (28mm) at f22 to get a long exposure for the water to have that 'silky smooth' effect.

Paul
Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 25, 2009, 6:46 PM   #2

Default ... and from on top

And here is the same waterfall - view from on top of the fall. (a quick HDR). Had my 10-20mm Sigma lens on, at 10mm. You can see the viewing platform (at the bottom of the falls) where the previous photo was taken.

Your comments greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Paul
Attached Images

Old Nov 25, 2009, 6:49 PM   #3

Default .... PS... Path on way up to top of falls.

I may as well add this photo... I'm not so sure it works... but it's a shot of the path on the way up. Tried to convey the feeling of a relaxed nature path winding up the side of a slope...

Thanks again..

Paul
Attached Images

Old Nov 26, 2009, 3:00 AM   #4

They all work for me. But that first shot is absolutely breathtaking. I love it. You used the perfect lens for that. Lucky you got the sky as well as the water below. And you got that silky look you were after. Great job.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2009, 9:34 AM   #5

The first shot really works. Great exposure.
On the last one, I like what you are trying to do. If the subject was the flower, the buds distract from it. If you were emphasizing the path, the buds are fine, but the path needs to be more in focus. Just one persons humble opinion
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2009, 9:09 AM   #6

The buds remind me of those things in Star Trek that creep around trying to eat people. Watching them I expect some movement. But thats just me.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2009, 4:16 PM   #7

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

The waterfall is a keeper! I like the extra tall perspective that seems to make your eye follow the stream of water from the very top to the very bottom. Good dynamic range as well. Nicely done.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2009, 6:52 AM   #8

Bynx, I appreciate your post. Yes, although not "very wide" (especially on a crop APS camera, the 28-135mm lens gives a decent great view of this fall). Yes, I'm also glad I got "sky" too. Cheers! Carnivorous buds.... ahhh yes... good ol' space age fear!! :-)

Mugmar, Thanks for appreciating the exposure of #1. Your constructive comments about the path / buds is understandable, and yes, I can see what you're saying. I guess the "path" was my intended subject, but just trying to be a bit creative with focus to play around with the idea. Will try your suggestions sometime.

Jelpee, thanks - I'll keep the waterfall then! I agree, the perspective (and 'flow') of the water does lead the eye nicely. The dynamic range was tricky, but with some practice, I think I'm pretty close. Cheers!

Paul
Old Dec 1, 2009, 9:11 AM   #9

Those pics are stunning! I like the green fauna around and behind the waterfalls. The second -- top-of-the-falls -- picture seems more like an FYI shot but stunning just as well. I love how the flower and green stems stick out like posing for just the shot you took.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2009, 4:55 AM   #10

Thanks vvcarpio

Glad you like these photos. Yes, I was also thankful to see the green colour around the waterfall, adding interest and contrasting colour.

You're right, the 2nd photo is more of a FYI shot... to show where took the 1st photo from. (2nd photo is a mide wider perspective.. 10mm vs 28mm). Re the 3rd photo, yes I couldn't resist taking the photo - these stems with flower / buds were really 'poking out' along the path edge. Too tempting! Cheers!