Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Closed Thread

Old Dec 3, 2009, 11:32 AM   #11

It almost looks like a woman's mouth with a tongue that, um, never mind...

Seriously, it's very beautiful!
Old Dec 24, 2009, 10:51 AM   #12

I have to comment on today's Photo of the Day. Its definately a Kodak moment. All the elements came together nicely, focus, composition, lighting.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 4:59 PM   #13

My comment today is not about the photo, but rather the logo pasted on the bottom right corner. On today's photo it is particularly annoying. Couldnt it be made to be more transparent so its still there but not as obvious and the photo can be better appreciated?
Old Dec 27, 2009, 6:14 PM   #14

Yeah. Annoying. Good pick tho.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 7:39 AM   #15

Today's Photo of the Day shows a beautiful HDR of water and sky and a long dock. The horizon is straight but the dock leans to the left. Would a pic like this with such a prominent feature and the horizontal lines of the boards running off level be better off having the dock straight ignorning the horizon?
Old Jan 11, 2010, 12:46 PM   #16
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Today's Photo of the Day shows a beautiful HDR of water and sky and a long dock. The horizon is straight but the dock leans to the left. Would a pic like this with such a prominent feature and the horizontal lines of the boards running off level be better off having the dock straight ignorning the horizon?
i personally think that leaving the horizon straight and letting the dock lean slightly is fine, as it probably is that way in real life. i think shaving just a bit off the bottom, so that the initial dock line is not cut-off halfway would mask some of this. i think you could probably use a distortion correction and fix it, since it is so slight as well.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 4:24 PM   #17

Yes it was an easy fix just usin distort and pulling up the bottom left anchor point until the horizontal boards straigtened out. But I was thinking of the principal of this situation. Is level horizon always the rule or would you make some large object that is very dominant level instead?
Old Jan 11, 2010, 4:27 PM   #18
Super Moderator

well in this shot, the large object is still below the horizon, so you are able to see the entirety of the horizon. i think having that be off would be more distracting than the object, which still looks believable if off a few degrees.

if the horizon was obstructed by a rather large object, especially if said object was very immoveable, then maybe this would be reversed and you would want to line up the horizontals on it.

(all just my opinions of course)
Old Jan 12, 2010, 10:22 AM   #19

For those of you who dont pay attention to the Photo of the Day thread, you must see todays. It left me with goosebumps and a strong wish to be there and take the pic. What a place. I wonder where it is. I think it would be nice to have a one liner explanation of the photos as well as a line or two why it was selected as POTD. That way we all learn something.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 10:43 PM   #20

I feel like I got left behind big-time yesterday (was busy with other things).

I have two things:

First, going with the question of what to straighten - I once took a desert picture and had the camera straight (used a level). The basic shot was across a desert valley to some distant mountains, so there was no horizon line. The desert terrain sloped and there were no man-made objects like sign-posts or buildings in the picture, just a few Joshua Trees and different colors with the sand, rocks, mountains and sky. When I saw the picture I wanted to rotate it, because I thought the sloping terrain of the desert valley floor looked bad - my eye wanted it to be straight like a horizon line. Would it be better to rotate it so that it looked better, or leave it sloped because that was reality and it was really straight?

And second point - that slot canyon on the 12th was just awesome! I have no idea where it was taken other than it wasn't in Antelope Canyon. I'd love to know where it was, too - I'd love to go there. It looks like the person taking it had wet feet, though.

Closed Thread