Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 27, 2009, 8:50 PM   #1

Default What do you think?

I've been playing around with a couple of things recently. I came up with this and really liked it, just wonder if I'm going to be the only one that does. It's not exactly my normal thing and wonder if I like it because it's rather over-the-top.

Should I just forget this type of processing? I know it's dark, but I like the extreme contrast.

Let me know what you think - is it interesting or too much?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 27, 2009, 9:10 PM   #2

Well this is not my style but I like what you did here. The detail in the trees is really nice.
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2009, 3:01 PM   #3

That's probably what really attracted me to this particular processing method - there was a very large amount of detail in the trees that I didn't see when I used a more conventional b&w conversion method for the picture. It really surprised me. Maybe I can re-do it somewhat to lighten the distant mountains (which are over 100 miles away), but I'm not sure that would help or hinder the picture. I really am interested in what others think of this type of picture, while I like it as a novelty, I don't know if anyone else would like it.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 7:41 AM   #4

i too like the detail in trees, but i do think the background is to dark, in fact untill you said the distant mountains i had no idea there were any mountains there.
i wouldnt give up though, theres deffinate potencial for a great image there.
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2009, 10:32 AM   #5

Here's the shot with a more normal conversion, with a more normal tone range. As you can see, there's not half as much detail in the near trees, while the distant mountains are clearer. Since I didn't get much reaction to the more stark one, I guess it's not exactly something I'll follow up on. And since the point of the picture (or at least the point when I took the picture) was to see how much the filter I was using could "see" through the 100 miles of haze to the mountains, I probably should stick to this one over the first one. It's just that the first one had such detail in the trees and was so exotic, I liked it. I'll still like it, but now I'll also know that most other people won't, and it wouldn't be considered "good photography".

Old Nov 29, 2009, 12:26 PM   #6
Super Moderator

i really like any type of true IR or pseudo IR. i think they are interesting and can transform a scene into something magical. so i would definitely keep shooting and posting these shots.

for me this shot just has too much of it in the foreground. if the trees were further back in the scene and the IR'd white trees occupied less of the scene i think they would contrast nicely and set a nice mood. right now its just too much white right up in your face, for lack of a better expression.

i enjoy these though, please keep posting.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2009, 12:27 PM   #7

Looks like infra red shot. Would make a good early Christmas card. As long as you keep posting these kinds of shots I will keep following. Im interested to see where this leads.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2009, 4:56 PM   #8

yes, i wouldnt give up, i think it could work really well with a different subject, maybe something with no sky, or a very cloudy sky, and lots of foilage.
kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2009, 11:01 PM   #9

It is indeed an IR photo. The first one came out that way rather accidentally - I was converting the photo to b&w using CS4 and playing around with the different preset b&w filters. The first one was using the high contrast blue filter option, which blocks all of the darker reds, leaving only the lightest parts of the picture. I thought it was a rather unique look and all the extra detail of the trees caught my eye mostly.

The picture was taken because I wanted to see how much haze the Hoya R72 filter would cut out. As I mentioned above, the distant mountains (the Sierras) are 100 miles away, and the San Joaquin Valley is in-between. Even on non-foggy days there's a large amount of haze over the valley and the mountains are normally a slightly darker blue, barely visible, often crowned with white snow (which helps make them more visible). I was impressed with just how much the filter does cut down on haze as I've never managed to get this clear of a picture before, even with a longer lens. The trees weren't wanted in the picture, but the longest lens I have that the filter fits is 105mm, and shooting with a 6 mp camera doesn't leave you a huge amount to crop.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 4:52 AM   #10

Hi mtngal

Interesting photos. I'll be honest and say I'm never really a fan of IR photos.... though not to say that I won't look now and then. Thanks for explaining about the filter and haze, etc.

I think I like the contrast in the 1st photo more. Thanks for sharing.
pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote