Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 4, 2009, 1:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj1974 View Post
Nice shot. I like the angle - giving the feeling of almost reaching the top of a hill... deserving a rest at that lovely little church.

Colours are nice in the final version. cheers
Thank's a lot for your comment, PJ! I did a HDR from the backside of this chapel, which I will post later today - maybe you'll like it too
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2009, 4:15 AM   #12

So, as I wrote in my previous post, here's a 3-exposure-HDR from the backside of this chapel. It was a -2/0/+2-bracketing, shot hand-held:

Name:  2009-11-28-10a-small.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  53.9 KB

This is the result from Photomatix (Detail Enhancer).

Name:  2009-11-28-kapelle-small.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  248.2 KB

And here we have the obligatory middle-exposure - before doing the HDR, I removed the flare in the left and cloned out the lamp post.

C&C very welcome, hope you like it
Old Dec 5, 2009, 6:27 AM   #13

Maggo85 - This is a nice picture of your little chapel on the hill. When one compares the middle-exposure to the HDR, one can clearly see how much more values there are coming out of this merger.

Alone the texture and the details of the stone-wall and the thatched roof-shingles gives you enough reason to use Photomatix!

Well done with your shot and also the cloning of the lamp-post and flare was done properly. Maybe one could have removed the blue moped / small MC on the right (yours?). It takes away some attention and changes the mood of this picture.

Best regards!
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2009, 7:48 AM   #14

Love the angle and colors. Beautiful pick.
+1 on Walter's comment.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2009, 5:34 PM   #15
Super Moderator

Maggo,

nice first run at HDR. the tones look good. If you plan to do more HDR, I would plan to invest in / bring along a nice sturdy tripod, this will give you a little better sharpness, very difficult sometimes to get that +2 shot sharp.

pleasing image nevertheless, look forward to seein more.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2009, 8:28 AM   #16

maggo, the enhancement is a winner. I'd love to see this same shot taken at a time of day that brings out the details on the front more if the opportunity presents itself because I think you've got a very nicely composed shot.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2009, 3:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
Maggo85 - This is a nice picture of your little chapel on the hill. When one compares the middle-exposure to the HDR, one can clearly see how much more values there are coming out of this merger.

Alone the texture and the details of the stone-wall and the thatched roof-shingles gives you enough reason to use Photomatix!

Well done with your shot and also the cloning of the lamp-post and flare was done properly. Maybe one could have removed the blue moped / small MC on the right (yours?). It takes away some attention and changes the mood of this picture.

Best regards!
Wow, what a great comment - thank you Walter! That was also my thought: The textures of the wall and the roof are saying "Make a HDR out of the pic"

The small moped wasn't mine, but of course I could clone it out, the there's really no distracting element in the photo.

PS.: Walter, on the left side you see the church of my village - maybe you've been there or drove through Arzl some time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
Love the angle and colors. Beautiful pick.
+1 on Walter's comment.
Thank you too, Ordo - nice to hear such kind words from a experienced photographer like you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
Maggo,

nice first run at HDR. the tones look good. If you plan to do more HDR, I would plan to invest in / bring along a nice sturdy tripod, this will give you a little better sharpness, very difficult sometimes to get that +2 shot sharp.

pleasing image nevertheless, look forward to seein more.
Thanks Hards80! I'm going to buy me a tripod that I can take with me everytime in my photo bag - and for shots like this chapel I can borough the big one from my dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojansoc View Post
maggo, the enhancement is a winner. I'd love to see this same shot taken at a time of day that brings out the details on the front more if the opportunity presents itself because I think you've got a very nicely composed shot.

Paul
Cheers to you, Paul! If the weather here in Austria is getting better, I'm going to take another pic from the front side, of course! Glad you liked the shot! I'm sure you mean the first shot, when you say "this same shot", am I right?
Old Dec 7, 2009, 1:38 PM   #18

So, here is the final version of the pic - now without the moped

Name:  Little Chapel on the Hill - Photomatix.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  53.0 KB

Hope you like it
Old Dec 7, 2009, 3:51 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggo85 View Post
...PS.: Walter, on the left side you see the church of my village - maybe you've been there or drove through Arzl some time?...
Yes, thank you for the rememberance - I think I recognice the church-spire - but remember, last time I was there was almost 40 years ago. My "Alzheimer"-eaten brain may play tricks on me....

In my childhood I was visiting Arzl a lot, becaus one of my aunts had a weekend-house there. It was not very far from one of those nice fountains (Dorfbrunnen).

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggo85 View Post
So, here is the final version of the pic - now without the moped
Nice and clean!

You did a good job on the cloning-job. Well done, maggo85!
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 11:55 AM   #20

Yes - the color is lovely and the clone job first-rate! It's very appealing now.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote