Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 4, 2009, 1:34 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
maggo85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Arzl im Pitztal/Austria/Europe
Posts: 1,135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj1974 View Post
Nice shot. I like the angle - giving the feeling of almost reaching the top of a hill... deserving a rest at that lovely little church.

Colours are nice in the final version. cheers
Thank's a lot for your comment, PJ! I did a HDR from the backside of this chapel, which I will post later today - maybe you'll like it too
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2009, 4:15 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
maggo85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Arzl im Pitztal/Austria/Europe
Posts: 1,135
Default

So, as I wrote in my previous post, here's a 3-exposure-HDR from the backside of this chapel. It was a -2/0/+2-bracketing, shot hand-held:

Name:  2009-11-28-10a-small.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  53.9 KB

This is the result from Photomatix (Detail Enhancer).

Name:  2009-11-28-kapelle-small.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  248.2 KB

And here we have the obligatory middle-exposure - before doing the HDR, I removed the flare in the left and cloned out the lamp post.

C&C very welcome, hope you like it
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2009, 6:27 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Fredrikstad - Norway / Europe
Posts: 1,954
Default

Maggo85 - This is a nice picture of your little chapel on the hill. When one compares the middle-exposure to the HDR, one can clearly see how much more values there are coming out of this merger.

Alone the texture and the details of the stone-wall and the thatched roof-shingles gives you enough reason to use Photomatix!

Well done with your shot and also the cloning of the lamp-post and flare was done properly. Maybe one could have removed the blue moped / small MC on the right (yours?). It takes away some attention and changes the mood of this picture.

Best regards!
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2009, 7:48 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Ordo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: BsAs
Posts: 3,452
Default

Love the angle and colors. Beautiful pick.
+1 on Walter's comment.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2009, 5:34 PM   #15
Super Moderator
 
Hards80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 9,046
Default

Maggo,

nice first run at HDR. the tones look good. If you plan to do more HDR, I would plan to invest in / bring along a nice sturdy tripod, this will give you a little better sharpness, very difficult sometimes to get that +2 shot sharp.

pleasing image nevertheless, look forward to seein more.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2009, 8:28 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Trojansoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Hot Springs, AR
Posts: 3,724
Default

maggo, the enhancement is a winner. I'd love to see this same shot taken at a time of day that brings out the details on the front more if the opportunity presents itself because I think you've got a very nicely composed shot.

Paul
Trojansoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2009, 3:50 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
maggo85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Arzl im Pitztal/Austria/Europe
Posts: 1,135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
Maggo85 - This is a nice picture of your little chapel on the hill. When one compares the middle-exposure to the HDR, one can clearly see how much more values there are coming out of this merger.

Alone the texture and the details of the stone-wall and the thatched roof-shingles gives you enough reason to use Photomatix!

Well done with your shot and also the cloning of the lamp-post and flare was done properly. Maybe one could have removed the blue moped / small MC on the right (yours?). It takes away some attention and changes the mood of this picture.

Best regards!
Wow, what a great comment - thank you Walter! That was also my thought: The textures of the wall and the roof are saying "Make a HDR out of the pic"

The small moped wasn't mine, but of course I could clone it out, the there's really no distracting element in the photo.

PS.: Walter, on the left side you see the church of my village - maybe you've been there or drove through Arzl some time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
Love the angle and colors. Beautiful pick.
+1 on Walter's comment.
Thank you too, Ordo - nice to hear such kind words from a experienced photographer like you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
Maggo,

nice first run at HDR. the tones look good. If you plan to do more HDR, I would plan to invest in / bring along a nice sturdy tripod, this will give you a little better sharpness, very difficult sometimes to get that +2 shot sharp.

pleasing image nevertheless, look forward to seein more.
Thanks Hards80! I'm going to buy me a tripod that I can take with me everytime in my photo bag - and for shots like this chapel I can borough the big one from my dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojansoc View Post
maggo, the enhancement is a winner. I'd love to see this same shot taken at a time of day that brings out the details on the front more if the opportunity presents itself because I think you've got a very nicely composed shot.

Paul
Cheers to you, Paul! If the weather here in Austria is getting better, I'm going to take another pic from the front side, of course! Glad you liked the shot! I'm sure you mean the first shot, when you say "this same shot", am I right?
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2009, 1:38 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
maggo85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Arzl im Pitztal/Austria/Europe
Posts: 1,135
Default

So, here is the final version of the pic - now without the moped

Name:  Little Chapel on the Hill - Photomatix.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  53.0 KB

Hope you like it
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2009, 3:51 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Fredrikstad - Norway / Europe
Posts: 1,954
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggo85 View Post
...PS.: Walter, on the left side you see the church of my village - maybe you've been there or drove through Arzl some time?...
Yes, thank you for the rememberance - I think I recognice the church-spire - but remember, last time I was there was almost 40 years ago. My "Alzheimer"-eaten brain may play tricks on me....

In my childhood I was visiting Arzl a lot, becaus one of my aunts had a weekend-house there. It was not very far from one of those nice fountains (Dorfbrunnen).


Quote:
Originally Posted by maggo85 View Post
So, here is the final version of the pic - now without the moped
Nice and clean!

You did a good job on the cloning-job. Well done, maggo85!
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2009, 11:55 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
mtngal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Frazier Park, CA
Posts: 16,056
Default

Yes - the color is lovely and the clone job first-rate! It's very appealing now.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 9:59 PM.