Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 28, 2009, 3:06 PM   #31

Maggo #1 on your latest editions did it for me. Sparkeling colours and a lovely angle. The chapel with it's painting above the entrance are eye catching.

#2 was a little on the dull side for me. Good picture in the sense of colour and the mountains, but I'm not sure what I want to look at. The chapel is nice but there is not much to it form this angle, imo.
Alasdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 3:00 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
Hello maggo85!!

This is incredible and most surprising.

This is the weekend-house of my late aunt. I recognized it immediately, even though it is more than 50 years ago I saw it last!! It even has the same green trimmings around the windows and on the door as it had then!

Thank you very, very much, maggo85. This is really an emotional moment for me to see this now after all these years. Also, the beautiful snow-capped montain "Platain" in the background, which is a well know sight to me as well. I also recognize the other mountain, the "Tschirgant" in the first picture. And this is the exact spot where the old fountain used to be, maggo85.

Thank you, I appreciate your pictures.
When I knew the location of the old fountain, this beautiful house was the first thing that came to my mind - I thought this MUST be it, so I'm glad to make you happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
Maggo85!

Your re-take of that litttle chapel on the hill is wonderful! First of all they are great compositions, both of them. The perspective of #2 is breathtaking, with that sweeping form of the supporting wall along the winding road leading ones eyes upwards. With the chapel proudly sitting on top there. And those beautiful mountains in the background, so fresh and clear, as opposed to the single-shots. DPHDR really brings out a lot of details.

You brought out a very nice chapel her. In # 1 you can even see some texture in the shadow-side of that small, black varnished steeple - this is HRD at its best. The composition is spot on!

Well done, maggo85!

Wow, after making you happy you made me happy - thank you very much for your kind words! I'm glad you like my chapel shots and the way they turned out as HDR's - you're my inspiration

For me as a beginner I think it's the most important thing that you (and the others) like the composition and perspectives of my shots - I really learn a lot from your comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple View Post
the one with the road is definatly my cup of tea thanks maggo i wondered how one with the road included would look
Thank you too, Ordo - good to read that nice words. I like the way the road leads your eyes to the beautiful mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alasdair View Post
Maggo #1 on your latest editions did it for me. Sparkeling colours and a lovely angle. The chapel with it's painting above the entrance are eye catching.

#2 was a little on the dull side for me. Good picture in the sense of colour and the mountains, but I'm not sure what I want to look at. The chapel is nice but there is not much to it form this angle, imo.
Cheers to you, Alasdair! Thank you mainly for your honest words about the second one - I'm glad not everyone has the same opinion

Last edited by maggo85; Jan 13, 2010 at 4:41 AM. Reason: Forgot a word
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 3:13 PM   #33

I'd like to post a "final" post and give you some information about this little chapel. First of all, here is a picture of the drawing above the door, maybe someone likes to take a closer look:

Name:  IMG_0410_detail.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  77.8 KB

On the pic you can see St. Magnus, on the left you see our village centre with the church and the old weekend-house of Walter_S's ant

The text says "St. Magnus bitt' für uns" what means "Saint Magnus pray for us".

St. Magnus was the patron of the farmers in Bavaria (Germany) since a hundreds of years. At the beginning of the 19th century there was a "cockchaver grub plague" at our region, so our farmers began to pray to St. Magnus to help them out and make the cockchaver grubs go away.

They used holy waters for their fields and built this chapel as a sign of their adoration and thankfulness - it's the only one for St. Magnus in our province.

Since this time, St. Magnus is the patron for our farmers - he is advocate for a good crop every year.

I hope you understand my English and I'd like to thank you all for watching and commenting my pictures
Old Jan 14, 2010, 10:24 PM   #34

Thanks for posting the pictures of the chapel and including the close-up of the picture - I had wondered what it was. And the history is wonderful, there's so many priceless places all over Germany and Austria (though I've only visited Austria once, and that not very extensively), thank you for introducing me to another one.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2010, 4:50 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
Thanks for posting the pictures of the chapel and including the close-up of the picture - I had wondered what it was. And the history is wonderful, there's so many priceless places all over Germany and Austria (though I've only visited Austria once, and that not very extensively), thank you for introducing me to another one.
I'm glad you understood what I wrote

Wow, I didn't expect that one from this forum who lives in the US has ever been to Austria or even know where it is - when my parents had been in California and somebody asked them where they are from, the response always was "Austria? That's where the cangaroos are, right?"

Do you remember where you've been in Austria?

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L
Old Jan 26, 2010, 11:03 PM   #36

Your question brought up a number of memories - I visited Austria one day in 1980, the year my boyfriend, out of the complete blue, gave me a Pentax SLR camera with two lenses. While I always carried around an instamatic, I had never indicated an interest in photography as such - I was perfectly content to take snaps. But since I had the camera, I learned how to use it and proudly showed it to my parents, when we met in Germany to see the Passion Play in Oberammergau. My father was so impressed by that Pentax ME, he went home and bought one himself. I still have both those original lenses and the ones that my father bought for himself later on.

During the week around the play we took a tour of Salzburg and the mountains around it - what a beautiful place! But that's my only trip there during the 3 years I was stationed in Germany. My boyfriend and I would occasionally go down to Switzerland, but we spent most of our spare time during those couple of years in Germany.

I sometimes think that boyfriend regrets buying me that camera. It took 20 years before that ME broke (and parts weren't available), and since then he's bought me 6 or 7 more cameras and a bunch more lenses (such an understanding husband he has become).

So thanks for taking me down memory lane.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote