Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Nov 30, 2009, 3:42 PM   #1

Default Early morning on the coast - Sunrise = Sun gets in your eyes :o)

Again I ask a question I have asked earlier. Does a lens-flare like this ruin an otherwise good picture (my biased opinion, of course....) and if so, what can I do in a situation like this. The setting was perfect and I couldn't move the sun...

I have always wanted to picture the sun, and this time I took a chance to point my lens directly at it / her / him (which gender does the sun have?) because ther was still some haze low on the horizon, hoping to catch that almost sacral feeling of the birth of a new day and the warmt coming from the early sun-rays on an otherwise unspoiled day.

This is a 5-exposure HDR and the darkest exposure is posted below for comparison:

Your comments are appreciated!

If you like it - tell me.
If you don't like it - tell me too,
but tell me why, and don't be shy!

Attached Images

Quote: "Buying a camera doesn't make you a photographer. - It makes you a camera owner".
Curious about my photography?
You may look up my small portfolio on the Norwegian photo-forum: http://walter_s.foto.no/ - click - "LATEST" on left bottom of page.
You may then click any thumbnail to view the picture and click again on the displayed picture for an unobstructed full screen view. Enjoy!
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2009, 3:59 PM   #2
Super Moderator

why not crop off the bottom a little. i think the mood is retained and the big distracting flare is removed.
Attached Images

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2009, 4:26 PM   #3

Beautiful pic - you can really feel the warmness of the sun and smell the fresh air. This photo makes me dream about having a nice, chilled breakfast with my fiancee on a terrace by the sea after getting up early in the morning... I love the colors of the three stones in the left side of the pic.

BTW, Hards80, I'd agree with you - the cropped pic is the better version, because the great mood is still there, but the reflection has gone
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2009, 4:42 PM   #4

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I see a little bit of flare that I think can be post processed out. Honestly, I think flare control is excellent considering you were shooting directly into the sun. Watch you eyes, by the way to make sure they are not damaged by such a direct exposure.

As for this image, I have more of an issue of the blown highlights on the sun...I find it a bit distracting. If there is a way to tone the sun down, it would appeal to me.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2009, 10:08 PM   #5

I have seen a few photos where lens flare hasn't ruined them, but they haven't been taken by me. In this case, I'd prefer to not see it, either crop it (I like the crop), or clone it out - it's in a place you might be able to clone it out easily.

Was this taken raw or jpg? I'm like jelpee - I'm not crazy about the way it transitions from the sun to the sky. If it was shot raw, what program were you using to process it? I know that ACR sometimes struggles with such situations, and wonder if that's what you used. If so, you might try different software to see if you can get a more graceful transition. I've never had much luck correcting that by the way - if you figure it out, let me know.

I really like the picture over-all, and it's definitely worth working on, to see if you can correct it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2009, 12:41 PM   #6

It's not only the flare but also the sun's irregular shape that affects the photo.
Now that you've a G1, you will need to investigate filters Walter. Neutral density filters for direct sun picks, may help. Polarizing filters to add texture and volume to clouds (not this case) and for many other uses are a must.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2009, 1:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
why not crop off the bottom a little...
Your cropping-knive is a sharp one, Hards80 it feels like you just cut of part of my body. I knew of cours that I could crop, but was very reluctant to do that, because I feel like I would loose all there is to keep, mainly the foreground with all the nice details (Heather-plants). But I see there is no other way of doing it.

Anyway, I have since learned that the strong bright sun (blown out) is dragging the picture down as well, so I will just "trow in the towel" on this one and give up. It's not worth to save.

Thanks for your time, edit and advice, Hards80!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelpee View Post
I see a little bit of flare that I think can be post processed out.
Really I thought a bit of lens-flare wouldn't matter. After all, why has Adobe Photoshop (CS + Elements) a function where you can ADD lens-flare to your picture (you wouldn't add something thats bad?), but non to REMOVE lensflare, so lensflare must be something good? No?
I think its more a question of esthetics and how much of lens-flare there is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
...Was this taken raw or jpg? .....I've never had much luck correcting that by the way - if you figure it out, let me know.

I really like the picture over-all, and it's definitely worth working on, to see if you can correct it.
Thanks mtngal, but I think I'll call it quits. Its too much work, really and the outcome uncertain. And sorry, its not raw, just jpeg. I have not begun shooting raw yet, I guess I'm just lazy (pluss the fact that juggeling files of ~24Mb do not tempt me at all...).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
...Polarizing filters to add texture and volume to clouds (not this case) and for many other uses are a must.
I just realized what I have let myself into, Ordo - I was feeling quite happy with my P&S and nobody put any pressure on me then....

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggo85 View Post
...This photo makes me dream about having a nice, chilled breakfast with my fiancee on a terrace by the sea...
Thank you, maggo85 - I liked the scene as well, but there is too much of an issue to follow this up.

Old Dec 1, 2009, 2:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
I just realized what I have let myself into, Ordo - I was feeling quite happy with my P&S and nobody put any pressure on me then....
I did, Walter. Very impolitely, but I did.
The fact is that you change (camera, lenses, settings, points of view, angles, colors, pp, etc.) and learn at a surprising speed. It amazes me.

Now: what about a web site?
I know: Iím pushing you again, ha, ha!
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2009, 4:36 PM   #9

Could you not have made an exposure for the sun only?
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2009, 4:40 PM   #10

Well, I thought I did. I made 5 exposures and my darkest exposure was this here....

...and it wasn't dark enough.

Win some - Loose some. There will (hopefully) be more sunrises to come.