Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 3, 2009, 12:45 PM   #1

Default Frosty Macro

Heya all.
I recently bought a macro lens (see signature) which is great, and since it turned to frost two days ago, I went out today and cought some pix.

Something I need to work on, let me know, this is my first macro-lens usage

BTW: I failed pretty badly by using an ISO of 1600 I didn't realize until I got inside again
But still, the amount of noise is astounding for 1600 in my oppinion. I must say the D50 is great.

Flikkaarrrr
Acapulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 3, 2009, 2:42 PM   #2

Doesn't look like you used a tripod on these, which is a must for macro. Very interesting subjects, but lack sharpness.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2009, 12:31 AM   #3

I agree with Walter C. the subjects are really interesting, I like especially the last one - but the sharpness is a problem, that's right...

I recently posted my first "close-up" pic a few days ago in the Close-up- and Biweekly-Shootout forum (done with the 18-55 kit lens), and had problems with the sharpness too...
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2009, 12:45 AM   #4

i thought in 90% of macro a tripod is required (remote) . Acapulco hopefully i will be doing / posting my first macro's in a couple of week ive been wondering what to shoot and with the cold weather coming and the bugs etc in hiding you have just gave me something to practice on
Old Dec 6, 2009, 8:21 PM   #5

While a tripod gives the best results, it can also be limiting. One thing you can do that will help with macro is to use a pole of some sort (I use a walking stick) for extra support/stability. Hold the pole and support the camera with the left hand, then slide your hand up and down the pole to get your focus (I always use manual focus for macro, got frustrated using auto focus). Flash of some sort also helps, preferably off-camera.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2009, 8:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
While a tripod gives the best results, it can also be limiting. One thing you can do that will help with macro is to use a pole of some sort (I use a walking stick) for extra support/stability. Hold the pole and support the camera with the left hand, then slide your hand up and down the pole to get your focus (I always use manual focus for macro, got frustrated using auto focus). Flash of some sort also helps, preferably off-camera.

I guess you are referring to a monopod.
No way it can match the steadiness of a tripod.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2009, 2:32 PM   #7

I'm not really talking about a monopod (though you could use one) or replacing a tripod. You can use a broom, a sturdy pipe, a trekking pole or any other type of pole. And as I said, it wouldn't give you as good results as a tripod, but it's better than just hand-holding. It's great for those times when you can't use a tripod for some reason but want more stability than you can get with only two feet. I'll use this method when I'm out hiking and don't want to carry a tripod, or when I'm taking pictures of raindrops on neighbor's leaves/flowers/spiderwebs and don't want to set up a tripod in the middle of a street. Add an external flash, especially one off-camera, and you can get very good results.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 10:53 PM   #8

Thanks for your critisism.

! UPDATE !
I have used my tripod this time ! Hoping this time went better =)

Flikkaarrrr
Old Dec 15, 2009, 12:32 AM   #9

Ok Acapulco. Whats your take on these shots? Do you like the composition, the subject, the focus? Personally I prefer your first batch. They looked like sugar or salt crystals.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2009, 1:27 AM   #10

Yeh, i prefer the first batch also. But since that type of frost is non-present at the moment this was the only type I could capture.

And since this is my first macros, I gotta be honest, it's pretty hard to know how to get the perfect focus. My D50 doesn't have a preview focus button either so...

but I hope to get improvements later on =)

Flikkaarrrr