Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 12, 2009, 3:16 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
maggo85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Arzl im Pitztal/Austria/Europe
Posts: 1,135
Default The barn and the tree

Here's another shot I took that late afternoon when I shot the "little chapel" - just a small barn in front of a tree a few hundred metres away from the chapel.

I've cut away a bit of the grass on the bottom and did a pseudo-hdr with DPHDR - please tell me what you think about the photo:

Name:  2009-11-28-16c-small.jpg
Views: 177
Size:  219.2 KB

Last edited by maggo85; Dec 12, 2009 at 4:22 AM.
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2009, 2:08 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
maggo85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Arzl im Pitztal/Austria/Europe
Posts: 1,135
Default

Guys, I dont' want to be rude - is there a reason you don't comment this shot? Is it really so bad? If it is so, please tell me too - I'm here to learn something, and critique can help doing it better next time
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 2:40 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Fredrikstad - Norway / Europe
Posts: 1,954
Default

Well, for what its worth, maggo85.

Personally, I am not too keen on the portrait-format in this picture. Landcapes are seldom at their best in this format. It put chains on your creativity. I know what you were trying to do, and catch the whole of the tree with the barn, but it's really just a barn with bare branches of a tree growing out of it.

The barn and the surroundings are nice enough, light- and color-wise, but my eyes are constantly wanting to go left and right, beyond the confinement of your format, to see more of the landcape there - which probably would be more interesting than the whole of the bare tree.

The sky is beautiful and your setting would be nice if for example that tree was shot like this in springtime, with the new and lush leaves on it. But even then, I think it would be a too thight crop for it to work. Besides, I think in such a new setting I would have given it a new angle and shown the barn and the tree from the side, so that the whole of the tree is visible, standing besides the barn.




I do not like to be a negative critique because I am still a beginner myself, having taken photography seriously only about a year, so I am not all that confident myself, but you were asking for it!

Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 2:49 AM   #4
Super Moderator
 
Hards80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 9,046
Default

sorry, i missed this one. sometimes threads get lost in my list of "new posts" if i have been busy at work etc.

i kind of feel the same as walter on this one. its a rather flat image. the shed itself isn't interesting enough to be the sole subject of the photo, and the tree protruding from the back end doesn't help.

what i see here is an interesting landscape photo just waiting for you to reshoot. there appears to be a nice mountain range behind it with many interesting layers. why not use the shed as a smaller element in the foreground of a landscape with the mountains as the main focus? its worth experimenting with if you can get back to that area.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 5:26 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
maggo85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Arzl im Pitztal/Austria/Europe
Posts: 1,135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
Well, for what its worth, maggo85.

Personally, I am not too keen on the portrait-format in this picture. Landcapes are seldom at their best in this format. It put chains on your creativity. I know what you were trying to do, and catch the whole of the tree with the barn, but it's really just a barn with bare branches of a tree growing out of it.

The barn and the surroundings are nice enough, light- and color-wise, but my eyes are constantly wanting to go left and right, beyond the confinement of your format, to see more of the landcape there - which probably would be more interesting than the whole of the bare tree.

The sky is beautiful and your setting would be nice if for example that tree was shot like this in springtime, with the new and lush leaves on it. But even then, I think it would be a too thight crop for it to work. Besides, I think in such a new setting I would have given it a new angle and shown the barn and the tree from the side, so that the whole of the tree is visible, standing besides the barn.




I do not like to be a negative critique because I am still a beginner myself, having taken photography seriously only about a year, so I am not all that confident myself, but you were asking for it!

Thank you very much Walter for your honest opinion - it's the best way to learn things, because I'm really just starting with "serious" photography and open for any advise to make things better!!

This was actually my first portrait format pic with the Canon - I just wanted to try how it would look like and understand if you find the object not really interesting, after all it's just a plain barn with a tree behind

I'll try shooting this again in the landscape format (like Hards80 wrote) - that's no problem for me because it's just a short walk away from where I live. I think it's a good object to try different perspectives, settings and compositions.

Thanks again Walter for telling me what you think!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
sorry, i missed this one. sometimes threads get lost in my list of "new posts" if i have been busy at work etc.

i kind of feel the same as walter on this one. its a rather flat image. the shed itself isn't interesting enough to be the sole subject of the photo, and the tree protruding from the back end doesn't help.

what i see here is an interesting landscape photo just waiting for you to reshoot. there appears to be a nice mountain range behind it with many interesting layers. why not use the shed as a smaller element in the foreground of a landscape with the mountains as the main focus? its worth experimenting with if you can get back to that area.
Dustin, thank you too for commenting! It really takes time to learn seeing interesting objects to shoot when walking around in my village and my surroundings, because things are so common to me, that it's sometimes difficult to find them interesting

When I have the time and the weather is OK, I'll give it another try on Saturday and heed your advices to shoot the barn in a different way.


BTW, thank you all for your help - these forums are a great place to be

Last edited by maggo85; Dec 14, 2009 at 6:21 AM.
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 3:37 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
mtngal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Frazier Park, CA
Posts: 16,056
Default

I hesitated to comment because composition is the hardest thing for me - I've been shooting semi-seriously for a couple of years and I still don't think I can compose a picture very well. I'll defer to the others about the picture's composition. I like the color/light, it looks very nice to me. However, I have a pet peeve with tree branches that look over-processed/over-sharpened. Just my opinion, but your tree looks too sharpened or overprocessed for my taste and I found that distracting. That could have been caused from the HDR software (they can do weird things sometimes) or if you sharpened the picture some other way (in which case, you might be able to do something about it). I can't tell you how many pictures of my own that I've deleted because I can't quite get everything to work in the rest of the picture without messing up the trees. But other people might feel differently it.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 4:35 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
maggo85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Arzl im Pitztal/Austria/Europe
Posts: 1,135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
I hesitated to comment because composition is the hardest thing for me - I've been shooting semi-seriously for a couple of years and I still don't think I can compose a picture very well. I'll defer to the others about the picture's composition. I like the color/light, it looks very nice to me. However, I have a pet peeve with tree branches that look over-processed/over-sharpened. Just my opinion, but your tree looks too sharpened or overprocessed for my taste and I found that distracting. That could have been caused from the HDR software (they can do weird things sometimes) or if you sharpened the picture some other way (in which case, you might be able to do something about it). I can't tell you how many pictures of my own that I've deleted because I can't quite get everything to work in the rest of the picture without messing up the trees. But other people might feel differently it.
Cheers mtngal for your comment and thanks for the nice words about the color and the light

I've did some unsharp mask with Photoshop after creating the HDR, maybe it was too much... So here I show you the first HDR-version with no cropping and sharpening:

Name:  A barn and a tree - Pseudo1.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  242.6 KB
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 6:33 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Ordo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: BsAs
Posts: 3,452
Default

I don't like not seeing the whole tree, like Walter observed. Colors are nice tho.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2009, 10:37 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
mtngal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Frazier Park, CA
Posts: 16,056
Default

I can see why you added some sharpening, but I think you over-did it. Since it's mainly the tree that I find too much, I'd probably take your original, duplicate it on another layer and sharpen that. Then use a layer mask and paint over the tree with black at something like 75% opacity (you'd have to play with that to see how much) to let the original tree show through. Not sure I'd do 100% as I think the tree could use a bit of sharpening, just not as much as you did here. Or slightly sharpen the bottom layer for the tree, then sharpen the upper layer for the rest of the picture and use 100% opacity to let the lower layer tree show through - something like that.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:05 PM.