Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 28, 2009, 9:40 AM   #21

2morrow - I really like your picture, too. Don't know if it's the monitor I'm using at the moment (a laptop), but I think I would lighten the highlights just a tiny bit, leaving the darks alone. But be very careful with it - I wouldn't want to see the whole picture lightened. I love the feel of the picture, it's a non-traditional cat picture and fun.

I'm not sure I totally understand this effect, but between Walter's first picture and this cat, I thought I would at least give it a try. Since I think it gives a rather other-worldly effect, I thought it might work with one picture I took. However, I think it needs a bit of explanation. I took it while on vacation to Sedona, Arizona. This area is supposed to be known for its energy vortex spots and possible UFO sightings (do a google search for sedona vortexes and you'll see what I mean). So this picture, which I might have otherwise deleted, seemed somehow appropriate for the area. Then I tried the orton effect to increase it's other-world feeling (I'm also using a laptop monitor, which while pretty good for a laptop isn't as good as a full sized monitor). I'm really trying to save this very flawed picture that somehow just speaks to me, though I can't quite figure out why. Did the effect just make a bad picture worse, does it leave you cold or is there something here? I can't quite decide.

mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:13 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
...I would also count photos of old people ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
I think the Orton Effect would work best on nudes...
I mention "old people" and then you mention "nudes". I hope one thing didn't lead to the other just kidding!
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:14 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
2morrow - I really like your picture, too. Don't know if it's the monitor I'm using at the moment (a laptop), but I think I would lighten the highlights just a tiny bit, leaving the darks alone. But be very careful with it - I wouldn't want to see the whole picture lightened. I love the feel of the picture, it's a non-traditional cat picture and fun.

I'm not sure I totally understand this effect, but between Walter's first picture and this cat, I thought I would at least give it a try. Since I think it gives a rather other-worldly effect, I thought it might work with one picture I took. However, I think it needs a bit of explanation. I took it while on vacation to Sedona, Arizona. This area is supposed to be known for its energy vortex spots and possible UFO sightings (do a google search for sedona vortexes and you'll see what I mean). So this picture, which I might have otherwise deleted, seemed somehow appropriate for the area. Then I tried the orton effect to increase it's other-world feeling (I'm also using a laptop monitor, which while pretty good for a laptop isn't as good as a full sized monitor). I'm really trying to save this very flawed picture that somehow just speaks to me, though I can't quite figure out why. Did the effect just make a bad picture worse, does it leave you cold or is there something here? I can't quite decide.
You picked a great photo, IMO -- great Orton effect! You must have quite a portfolio of random pictures. I'm just starting to build mine.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 5:41 PM   #24

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Mtngal - at first I wasn't crazy about the overly blue tones but after coming back to it, it is growing on me some. When I think Sedona I think reds, orange, yellow and HOT. I don't get any of that from your picture which I think might be what turned me off initially. I like the more subtle orton effect though, even moreso than my own.
2morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:47 PM   #25

vvcarpio - Actually, I took this picture only a month ago, so it was fresh in my mind and still on my computer. I'm constantly taking pictures though many never make it past the delete key, and most that I keep never get shown anywhere. Most are flawed in some way but they are always an education for me.

2morrow - Interesting about your comment that Sedona is all reds, orange and yellow. Perhaps I should look at the original again and see what it would look like with this effect applied to it, instead of the false color version. I could probably pass it off as a picture of Mars.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote