Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 21, 2009, 10:20 AM   #1

Default Spotty Fantasy-Rocks by the sea...

This is not very seriouse, but a little playful attempt to rid myself from the unpleasentness of winter.

I had to look up the word Fantasy - because I was i doubt whether it is written Phantasy of Fantasy - and there I found one definition which suits this picture well: "Fantasy is a reverie, a daydream, an imagined unreality that anyone can create."

So there you have it.

I 'created' this one here. First a HDR then with a slight Orton-effect to give it more interest, as the original - of which you can see the middle-exposure below - was pretty dull, in these winter-days with no green foilage around us, it looks pretty bleak.

Today's daydream: Imagined Unreality

Exif: Panasonic Lumix DMC G1 / Iso 200 / f 4.0 / 1/320" / Aperture priority / 28mm / handheld HDR with 5 exposures

I am sticking my neck out here, so lets have it guys and gals!

What? Too strong? Too much? Is it Kitch (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitsch) ...or can it stand on it's own? BTW: The spotty "patches" on the rocks is moss and not a contagious rash!

Here is the middles exposure, untouched by PP:
Attached Images

Quote: "Buying a camera doesn't make you a photographer. - It makes you a camera owner".
Curious about my photography?
You may look up my small portfolio on the Norwegian photo-forum: http://walter_s.foto.no/ - click - "LATEST" on left bottom of page.
You may then click any thumbnail to view the picture and click again on the displayed picture for an unobstructed full screen view. Enjoy!

Last edited by Walter_S; Dec 21, 2009 at 10:30 AM.
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 21, 2009, 11:50 AM   #2

Id like to see the HDR with and without the Orton Effect. While I dont particularly like the Orton Effect, Dwayne O has the settings down pretty good as well as the experience on which pics to use it on. Unfortunately Dwayne doesnt talk other than to say Thanks for Looking. It would be interesting to get some info from him on what he does to get his nice look to his photos. Im not that thrilled with the Orton Effect here Walter. It looks too blotchy with what seems overexposed and underexposed areas.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2009, 1:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Id like to see the HDR with and without the Orton Effect.

- It looks too blotchy with what seems overexposed and underexposed areas.
No Bynx, the "blotchy" effect was me trying to apply some more 'variations' to the otherwise dull rock. It's dodge and burn. If it's so obvious then I went too far....

Here is the Pre-Orton HDR....
Attached Images

Old Dec 21, 2009, 1:20 PM   #4

Now thats much better. When doing your next HDR how about taking a shot which is more underexposed than what was used here. The shot would be exposing for the bright sky and reflection in the puddles.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22, 2009, 6:09 PM   #5

I agree with Bynx ; the HDR without the Orton effect is much better, more natural looking shot which I think is pretty! The first one, although interesting, strikes me immediately as 'not natural' and that's distracting from the beautiful and wellcomposed scenery you captured.
tsjiaotai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2009, 1:34 AM   #6

OK - OK - I give in.....

Here is one HDR - and Orton without the blotches....I used the anti-blotch plug-in software "Blotch-away"....

And BTW, thanks for your kind words, tsjiaotai!
Attached Images

Old Dec 23, 2009, 2:54 AM   #7

First of all I have to say that the final result with Orton looks really "Fantasy-like", just how you mentioned - good work in my poor eyes

But then the original HDR looks much more natural and shows many more details, especially on the rocks - and because of that the one without the Orton-Effect is my favourite.

The last one is a bit smoother then the first, like it better.
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2009, 1:24 PM   #8

Thank you maggo85 - this was not a very seriouse attemt. I knew from the start that I was treading into fairy-tale ground when I did this heavy "blotch-blotch" Orton #1

Sometimes I like to go overboard like this and to have som freedom of not having to adhere strictly to the rules.

Last edited by Walter_S; Dec 24, 2009 at 1:53 AM. Reason: getting rid of spelling-errors.... :o/
Old Dec 23, 2009, 2:08 PM   #9

I liked both. The first one -- HDR with Orton and dodge and burn -- tells me to take an afternoon nap. The second one -- HDR without Orton -- slaps me awake. . I think it depends on the mood I'm in.

If, as the others say, the dodge and burn didn't work here, I think it's still a great experiment you did. I originally thought there were trees behind you (the photographer) casting shadows on the rocks. I think you shouldn't drop the technique. Anything you do -- even mistakes (if indeed they are mistakes) -- are to me very craftily done.

But then again, what do I know?
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2009, 2:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
...I originally thought there were trees behind you (the photographer) casting shadows on the rocks.

- I think you shouldn't drop the technique...

- But then again, what do I know?
Last question first, vvcarpio: IMO you know a lot. Enough anyway to have an opinion here. You have come a long way in almost no time at all, and I have watched your progress in every posting and noticed your photograpic skills progressing.

So, naturally - your opinon means a lot to me.

First statement: I buy that, vvcarpio - We tell all the others that there were indeed trees behind me, casting shadowy blotches onto the rocks.
You just made my day, thanks!

Second paragraph: No, I will not drop this technique as it appeals to me and to my "softer" side and I need to experiment to progress. Usually one step forward and two steps back. But then - Hey, this is life...

Merry Cristmas to you and your P90-shooting wife!

Last edited by Walter_S; Dec 23, 2009 at 2:43 PM.