Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 23, 2009, 9:02 PM   #1

Default LED Christmas lights

Did anyone have trouble using the auto focus on LED christmas lights? I was trying to take pictures of the tree earlier but theyve all come out blurry. I noticed also that the P mode was selecting an F 2.8 even though my subject was about 15 feet away. Anyone else run into this phenomenon?

Shane
JakAHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 23, 2009, 10:58 PM   #2

All cameras struggle to a certain extent with focusing in low light. AF sensors need contrast to focus - they do not focus well on a plain white piece of paper or in a black room. Add a black line to the paper or a white light shining on an object in the black room and it will have something to focus on.

Your pictures may be blurry because of camera shake. Anti-shake helps but can't correct all camera shake. Even with image stabilization I still can't hold a camera steady for a 1 second exposure. Look at your blurry pictures and see what shutter speed your camera chose - if its really slow then it might not be a focus issue.

The "F" number has nothing to do with distance, it's a number that relates to how much light your lens lets in. F2.8 indicates the lens is wide open (or close to it) so that it can let in as much light as possible. Larger numbers indicate a smaller opening, letting in less light. When shooting in low light I would expect a camera to choose f2.8.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2009, 8:09 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply and tips. The blur isnt from camera shake as I had the camera on a table and used a two second timer so pushign the shutter release wouldnt disturb it. I also dont think its the low lighting as I just tried again and while the camera will focus perfectly on the presents below the tree, it will not onto the tree itself. Ill try again tonight with manual focus. Thanks agian!
JakAHearts is offline   Reply With Quote