Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Dec 30, 2009, 4:04 PM   #1

Default T1i lackluster results

I got a Canon T1i a few days ago and have been impressed with the speed in which it takes shots, but most of the shots seem to be blurry or have some sort of motion blur. I mostly notice this in full automatic or Green box mode and P mode. Im M(manual) mode i can speed up the shutter speed enogh to prevent thing, but then the pictures come out dark. Im still learning the aspects of using a DSLR, but seem to have a decent idea.

Here is a few shots of pictures I have taken which I consider to be good

But then the majority are like this

I came from a 5.1MP sony p&S and guess I expected the shots to be at least as clear as the sonys, but 99% of the pics I take are blury even when on a tripod.
HeavyBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2009, 4:26 PM   #2

It looks like the program is chosen a widiest f-stop with the kit lens. If you go to the Av you can change it to have a step down the f-stop and the camera will chose the proper shutter speed. That will lessen the bokem or eliminate it altogether. Would you know what f stop these fotos were taken. Try setting the f stop to 5.6, 6.3 or 7.1 the photos should get rid of the blur.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 4:40 PM   #3

I am also trying to relearn SLR, but looking at the three "bad" pictures you posted, here's my guess...

#1) woods-- lot of detail, I wonder where the focus spot is.
#2) cat-- I'm guessing the cat moved between the time the focus was set and when the picture was snapped.
#3) lights- extremely dark. AF seems to have more problems in the dark.

My suggestion would be to try using manual focus and then auto with the same shot to see if the focus itself is out or if something else is causing the problem. Closing the f stop will help get rid of the blur, but it will also increase the amount of time the shutter has to stay open to properly expose the shot. Any movement in the shot (even camera "shake") will then add blur.
SamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 5:08 PM   #4

You can also set the camera to a-dep, it will focus with depth of field if you do not desire the blur.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 5:14 PM   #5
Super Moderator

I'm not sure we are talking focus but more shooting at shutter speeds that are too low. Although the T1i is a great camera it still needs enough light so you might want to increase the ISO which will get the shutter speed up. For the outdoor lights a tripod would probably be needed to get a good result. For indoor shots then also using flash will really help.

There are a few things so I would give them a try the probably come back with one photo at a time that concerns you and we can fix that problem then move onto the next.
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 5:26 PM   #6

Also in m, av, tv you may want to switch the white balance to the type of light you are in. The auto white balance is not that great indoors.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 6:45 PM   #7

Here are some of the best shots ive taken with the camera, utilizing its fast shutter speeds, though using flash.
http://picasaweb.google.com/server42...08683776392498
HeavyBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 8:47 PM   #8
Super Moderator

i don't see anything wrong.

the cat shots were shot in too low of light for that iso, up the iso or use the flash.

the forest scene is a problem of depth of field it look, possible also not fast enough shutter speed.

the night shot needs a tripod.

the last images you posted from picasa look good.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2009, 9:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
It looks like the program is chosen a widiest f-stop with the kit lens. If you go to the Av you can change it to have a step down the f-stop and the camera will chose the proper shutter speed. That will lessen the bokem or eliminate it altogether. Would you know what f stop these fotos were taken. Try setting the f stop to 5.6, 6.3 or 7.1 the photos should get rid of the blur.
This is not entirely correct. Using a smaller F-stop (larger F number) will not get rid of blur, it will likely make it worse. Smaller f-stops let in less light, and thus require longer shutter speeds, increasing the likelihood of motion blur. Small f stops do increase depth of field, but as Mark said, that is a focus issue. With modern focusing systems, focus errors are less common.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2009, 7:13 AM   #10

Not sure if the OP did not like the bokem in the background of the leathermen shot, and I do not know what the info with the shot is. If the kit lens was at 3.5 or 5.6. If time was at 1/160, 1/125/, 1/100, 1/80. If the WB was correct for indoor tungsent lighting. So for that shot the f stop could held. The second cat seem like camera shake.

Also I realized after my post, since it was taken in full program, a-dep mode will do the same for getting depth of focus with the x-mas tree.

Just things to try. That is all. Thanks for the correction.