Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 4, 2010, 10:04 PM   #1

Default Critique?? waterfall.

I know we are suposed to only do one pic per thread but these two go together. This is a waterfall I visited on a cold and snowy day in December. It was very overcast and light snow was falling so there wasn't alot of natural light. I did not have a tripod with me on this day so they were shot hand held on my sony a230 with an 18-55 lens.

My biggest concern is that they are too busy with all the light colors from both the water and the snow. Would love to hear any comments on either pic.

First one is above the falls. second is bellow the falls.
Attached Images

A change in perspective
will change a barren wasteland
to a field of opportunity
tikamidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2010, 10:42 PM   #2
Super Moderator

yes, they are a bit busy, that is my biggest concern as well.

however they are composed pretty well.

#1 i like the way you have the stream coming out of the left bottom corner, which leads the eye into the scene. however, the path in the top is a little crooked (which I am not sure is your fault or the path is just not straight) but it gives the feel of the "horizon" being off. i am not a big fan of the vignette, its too harsh, i think it might work feathered more and then black and white, but as is, its too much.

#2 i actually like this one more. the lower perspective gives it a little more grandeur. the snow bank on the right leads you in well. and the overlook is a nice touch. i wish you had not cut off the trees at the top, leaving a little more space at the top could have enhanced the feeling.

both shots could have really been helped by a tripod. you could have used a long exposure and got a nice smooth water, which would have been very pleasing. and having the smooth water could have helped the overall busy look as well, by giving it a nice smooth element to balance it.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 11:14 PM   #3

Well you can see why Hards80 works here. I agree totally with his evaluation of #1. Not sure about the black and white but I think a white vignette works better here since we have white snow to blend into. As for #2, that is a real sweet shot. It would be much better as a 2 or 3 vertical shot panorama enabling you to get those smoky trees in the background. Im not sure about slower shutter speed. That rough looking water contrasts the smooth snow nicely and I think the white smooth water would just look like more snow. So aside from a little more vertical image, I like this shot a lot. I just threw the pic in to show a white vignette.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2010, 11:36 PM   #4
Super Moderator

i like the white vignette on this shot. works well with the snow.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2010, 12:43 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
i like the white vignette on this shot. works well with the snow.
I think I agree with you on this.

On the second pic I didn't leave more sky because it was so dull and gray that it just added more light color to compete with the snow and water.

A change in perspective
Old Jan 10, 2010, 2:26 PM   #6
Super Moderator

First shot is very dull - looks like every other waterfall shot I've seen.

The second is very interesting, though I think it's the kind of shot that needs a large print and probably a lot of post-processing work to pull out all the details.

I love the way the waterfall and snow both make similar patterns. I like the detail of the trees in the mist and the lookout point on the right.

I think though I would probably crop it square, removing only from the right. Some curves to boost, burn in the top, dodge the bottom. Some local contrast enhancement and saturation boost. Not a finished article but indicative of how I would go about preparing this image.
Attached Images

Last edited by peripatetic; Jan 10, 2010 at 2:38 PM.
peripatetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2010, 2:21 AM   #7

I really like the first, Busy? Yes, but not sure what you can really do about that, How about mono chrome?
jgredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 3:03 PM   #8

That mono chrome looks good but I would still need to fix the vignetting across the top.

Thanks for all the input, I will have to find some time to play around with this one some more.

A change in perspective