Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 7, 2010, 1:38 AM   #21

It's a great photo. A classic, underlined by the mono-treatment that suits it rather well. The perspective is just great, and with all those values going on, until ones eye reaches the vanishing point, its an ejoyable walk...

N.B.: We must not forget Bynx'es perfect cloning-deed:

Personally I didn't care too much about the archways that go off to the right and left in the foreground. They belong somehow, but they make my eyes trying to go right and left as well, even though I want to go straight ahead only. Maybe its the left archway which craves too much attention, being not so smooth as the other one.

Anyway, this here is my edit. A classic archway, which brings you back to pre-medival times, almost Leonardo da Vinci! To be more within that time-periode, I have given it a slight sepia tint.
Attached Images

Last edited by Walter_S; Jan 7, 2010 at 6:48 AM.
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 5:04 AM   #22

Your edit really changes the feeling of the pic and adds to the symmetry a lot. The bottom border ending in the bottom corners of the frame is the right place to crop. Its an interesting buildling. Id like to see a shot from the front looking through all those archways.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 6:43 AM   #23

To be honest - for symmetry and calm this version (Hards version #2) is great, but for "punch" and exitment I'd prefer the #1 (first edition with the slight off-center view). Much more interesting IMO. More dynamic lines and perspective as opposed to the above version, which is kind of docile...

Here we go again.

Last edited by Walter_S; Jan 7, 2010 at 6:45 AM.
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 10:13 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
To be honest - for symmetry and calm this version (Hards version #2) is great, but for "punch" and exitment I'd prefer the #1 (first edition with the slight off-center view). Much more interesting IMO. More dynamic lines and perspective as opposed to the above version, which is kind of docile...

Here we go again.
the 1st edition looks far better screw the symmetry rule book
Old Jan 7, 2010, 12:06 PM   #25
Super Moderator

Walter,

I had a similarly composed shot to your edit, and i think it has its merits as well. However, I am going to side with simple here, I preferred the wider perspective, I thought it had greater impact.

thank you all for your constructive comments.!
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 12:39 PM   #26

Firstly both are very nice pictures. Imo #1 was more interesting. #2 is like a postcard you can buy here and there and not very unique. What I like about #1 is that the angle is just off, but not enough to destroy it and giving it uniqueness.

It helped a lot that Bynx removed the dustbins. Where I come from you have to look for ages to find a public dusbin, so I guess these things destract me easily.
Alasdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 1:06 PM   #27
Super Moderator

Alasdair,

thank you very much. it goes to show that everyone can have a varying opinion, and are backing those opinions up. good for everyone!

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2010, 10:49 PM   #28

Excellent job of cloning. A difference maker...
Ancientritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2010, 5:46 AM   #29

I prefer the first framing - but definitely lose the trash cans. The first one feels like I'm somewhere enclosed at the end of the corridoor looking out. The wider shot exposes the exits to the left and right which shows I'm somewhere much more open. Ideally, the perspective of the first but very slightly to the right so the arch is dead centre would be perfect I think.
MartinSykes is offline   Reply With Quote