Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 7, 2010, 10:44 AM   #1
Ox

Default New DSLR Owner looking for opinions on photos

Hello everybody,

I have been a point and shoot owner until this Christmas when I received a Pentax K-x as a present. I am having fun exploring my new camera and am looking for some critiques on some of my pictures.

Keep in mind that I am new to "real" photography and have only started since the new year. These are my favorite two pictures that I have taken thus far:

Lobster Pots at Fisherman's Cove in Eastern Passage, NS:

From a shooting trip in Woodside, NS:

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,
Ox

Last edited by Ox; Jan 7, 2010 at 10:46 AM.
Ox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2010, 10:47 AM   #2

were you using a UV filter on the first shot, On the second, you may want to adjust the whitebalance to get a more vivid white.

check out this site, it has youtube workshops useful to new dslr owners
www.dslrtips.com
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 10:52 AM   #3
Ox

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
were you using a UV filter on the first shot, On the second, you may want to adjust the whitebalance to get a more vivid white.

check out this site, it has youtube workshops useful to new dslr owners
www.dslrtips.com
On the first shot I was using a UV filter. It was actually from the first group of shots after buying a UV filter (there is no filter on the second shot). I bought a pretty cheap filter though, and I blame the lens flare on the filter.

Thanks for the tip on the second shot (and for the link). I'll give it a try.

Last edited by Ox; Jan 7, 2010 at 10:56 AM.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 12:29 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Hi Ox,

for future reference, post each photo in a separate thread here on Photo Critiques.- thnx

overall i like the creative angles you have posted. it shows you are thinking ahead and trying to be creative.

1) nice vanishing perspective and the light would be pretty good if it weren't flared so bad. also, the colors just seem almost too saturated. interesting idea though.

2) again, a nice line and good perspective. just think its a little too close. if you had backed out a little bit, you could have got the whole tree.

thank you for sharing. and good first submissions to our forum.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 1:02 PM   #5
Ox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
Hi Ox,

for future reference, post each photo in a separate thread here on Photo Critiques.- thnx

overall i like the creative angles you have posted. it shows you are thinking ahead and trying to be creative.

1) nice vanishing perspective and the light would be pretty good if it weren't flared so bad. also, the colors just seem almost too saturated. interesting idea though.

2) again, a nice line and good perspective. just think its a little too close. if you had backed out a little bit, you could have got the whole tree.

thank you for sharing. and good first submissions to our forum.
Thanks for your comments. How would I go about reducing the saturation in this first shot? This shot is directly out of camera... the only editing I did was to rotate it about 1deg since I was a little off when I took the picture. Also, what are some ways to decrease lens flare? I know a lens hood will help, but what other options do I have?

I totally agree about the second picture. This was from my first outing with my new camera, and I was more worried about camera settings than composure. I didn't even notice the tree until I got home and looked at the pictures.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 1:31 PM   #6

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Looks like you have a good eye for perspective and composition...something far more useful than expensive photographic equipment! Once you learn to operate and use the various controls of the K-x, I predict we'll be seeing some great images from you. BTW, you should also stop by the Pentax DSLR forum here...a lot of image sharing and comments going on there.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 3:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox View Post
On the first shot I was using a UV filter. It was actually from the first group of shots after buying a UV filter (there is no filter on the second shot). I bought a pretty cheap filter though, and I blame the lens flare on the filter.

Thanks for the tip on the second shot (and for the link). I'll give it a try.
Actually a UV filter is not really needed for DSLR it was a good thing to have for film slr as film is more effected by uv light. If you are planning to get another filter, get something like a ND filter instead. It will warm up the shots.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 8:15 PM   #8

I only use UV filters when I'm going to be shooting in blowing sand, otherwise I don't like the lens flare/ghosting they are subject to.

You might want to think about getting something like Photoshop Elements or another photo editing program. But if you think the camera gives you too much saturation, you can make changes in-camera. I don't own the K-x but think it's the same as most of the other Pentax cameras. The default jpg setting is for bright, which I find too saturated. You should have two choices to adjust that - one is to choose natural (what I use) or to leave it on bright and then adjust the saturation to a -1 or -2, depending on your taste. Look at your owners manual, it's called "Setting the Image Finishing Tone (Custom Image)" in the K-7 manual so I assume it will be the same in yours. I find it easier to add saturation than it is to take it out.

Some things that can help with flare from the sun (you can get it even without using a filter) - if you don't have a hood, use your hand, lens cap, hat or other light-blocking object to shade the lens opening - you'll be able to see the difference in the viewfinder. Be careful when doing this with a really wide lens and check the edges of the picture. It's very easy to have a finger in the frame!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote