Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 7, 2010, 2:40 PM   #1
Super Moderator

Default Cold

tried something a little different with the processing to emphasize the cold feeling.

Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 7, 2010, 2:48 PM   #2

Wow, what an interesting building. Is that on the St Louis U campus? You did a nice job with that.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 2:48 PM   #3

I like the composition of most of it. And it's a very interesting building and I like the brick walkway in the center and the lines drawing you in.

But the second walkway and portal is in an akward place - at the right most portion of the frame. The portal itself is more interesting than the main portal to my eyes - so that's why it doesn't work as well - my attention is drawn to the edge of the frame. I think I might like it better without that second set of lines on the edge of the frame.

But it's a bit bright for me - too much blown whites and overall brightness. In my mind "COLD" shouldn't be so bright. It may just be me, but white doesn't necessarily equate to cold to me.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 3:12 PM   #4
Super Moderator

thank you Walter, this is actually the Washington University in St Louis campus.

John, I really should have taken a few more angles, and one close enough to exclude the 2nd path, but it really was cold and with no gloves operating the small camera was not fun.

edit
Old Jan 7, 2010, 4:07 PM   #5

While both are great shots. I prefer #1 for just the same reasons John doesnt like it. The second version has the building squished up against the right side. There is some nice balance in the first one with a bit of breathing room around the main building. B&W works well here. Well Im glad I asked for this because it was worth the view. This is the place with all the trash cans.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 4:10 PM   #6

I know the feeling of operating cameras in the cold with no gloves. When I take out 4-5 cameras at once for samples during the winter here, my fingers are numb by the 3-4 model. If they weren't so darn small, I might be able to operate them with some gloves better, LOL.

Maybe we should start adding that to our compact/ultra-compact reviews: can/can not be operated with gloves. Hmmmm..

BTW, the photos look great. I like #1, with both paths visible.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 4:27 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
While both are great shots. I prefer #1 for just the same reasons John doesnt like it. The second version has the building squished up against the right side. There is some nice balance in the first one with a bit of breathing room around the main building. B&W works well here. Well Im glad I asked for this because it was worth the view. This is the place with all the trash cans.
thank you bynx for your opinions on the balance and processing. yes, this is indeed the front view to the building from the archway series.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 4:28 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy View Post
I know the feeling of operating cameras in the cold with no gloves. When I take out 4-5 cameras at once for samples during the winter here, my fingers are numb by the 3-4 model. If they weren't so darn small, I might be able to operate them with some gloves better, LOL.

Maybe we should start adding that to our compact/ultra-compact reviews: can/can not be operated with gloves. Hmmmm..

BTW, the photos look great. I like #1, with both paths visible.
also, squinting at the LCD screen in the snow with a 25mph wind in your face making your eyes water, thats not a huge help either LOL

add a cold weather useability rating

thanks for the comments Billy
Old Jan 7, 2010, 4:45 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
also, squinting at the LCD screen in the snow with a 25mph wind in your face making your eyes water, thats not a huge help either LOL

add a cold weather useability rating

thanks for the comments Billy
Look at all the excuses coming out just to make it look like he is even better by being able to get a good shot in such 'hard' conditions.

I'm with number 1 personally. I love the way we are lead into the scene and the building being higher in the frame than a lot of people would have considered. I didn't find any pure white portion so think you have done well to maintain the levels, I'm guessing this is with your new baby (F70EXR).

With the 2nd edit it feels claustrophobic, there is not enough space on the right. I do agree with John that I would rather they had only cleared one path so if you can have a word with them so the path on the right is left snowed over then I think I would be really happy
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2010, 4:55 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1616 View Post
Look at all the excuses coming out just to make it look like he is even better by being able to get a good shot in such 'hard' conditions.

I'm with number 1 personally. I love the way we are lead into the scene and the building being higher in the frame than a lot of people would have considered. I didn't find any pure white portion so think you have done well to maintain the levels, I'm guessing this is with your new baby (F70EXR).

With the 2nd edit it feels claustrophobic, there is not enough space on the right. I do agree with John that I would rather they had only cleared one path so if you can have a word with them so the path on the right is left snowed over then I think I would be really happy

thanks Mark for the detailed response. and yes this too is the F70EXR, it has become my "put in coat pocket and forget it" camera. i grabbed these on the way back from running an errand in which I would have never had my DSLR kit with me.

I was actually hoping to get there before they cleared off any of the snow. but I didnt get there until 10:30 (thanks to said errand), not exactly early lol.