Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 13, 2010, 4:26 PM   #11

I much prefer the uncropped pic. You could take off some of the top since we cant see Nelson anyway. But the bottom I would leave on. Crop out the couple if you must but they look ok there.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2010, 5:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolverines View Post
I really like the colors. Using your fiancee's as a monopod cracks me up!
Sorry wolverines, I completely overlooked your post

Well, thank you for your words - good to make you laugh

You can use your fiancee's head or shoulder's, depending on the height your fianceepod should be... of course this works with girlfriends or wifes too
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2010, 5:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
I much prefer the uncropped pic. You could take off some of the top since we cant see Nelson anyway. But the bottom I would leave on. Crop out the couple if you must but they look ok there.
Thanks for your suggestion Bynx - I too think the couple is not really distracting.

BTW, I found a few more shots from this square on which I did a little pp on yesterday (just some auto-adjustments and unsharp masking) - I'm gonna post them today in the evening.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 9:00 AM   #14

I like the uncropped version a lot -- it's much more pleasing to look at. I like the pool surface and the empty space on the foreground right.

I would probably just crop the L-shaped structure on the far-right. [Edit:] I see you already did so on the cropped version.

I also wish the couple's feet were included.

Bynx, can you add feet just kidding!

Last edited by vvcarpio; Jan 14, 2010 at 9:03 AM. Reason: Added "edit" comment.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2010, 9:03 AM   #15

I like the first one better. The exposure is spot on!
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2010, 2:12 PM   #16

Mugmar and vvcarpio - thank you for commenting! I believe it's no problem for the great Bynx to add some nice feet to the couple

Talking 'bout Bynx - here are some more shots from Trafalgar Square I did that week in September and in summer 2007:

#1: This was on the right side of the square - the big chess game was part of the "Design Festival".

Name:  trafalgar_1.jpg
Views: 3630
Size:  235.8 KB

#2: Another fountain with "The National Gallery" in the background.

Name:  trafalgar_2.jpg
Views: 4026
Size:  190.6 KB

#3: The black figures in focus - I've tried my best to capture them

Name:  trafalgar_3.jpg
Views: 3159
Size:  246.0 KB

#4: This one was on the next day - the weather wasn't really good during may stay.... I did a pseudo-HDR with DPHDR and played around with "Ultra-Contrast".

Name:  trafalgar_4.jpg
Views: 40654
Size:  234.2 KB

#5: The National Gallery on the same day, same procedure with DPHDR.

Name:  trafalgar_5.jpg
Views: 3245
Size:  229.0 KB

Last edited by maggo85; Jan 14, 2010 at 2:13 PM. Reason: Forgot a letter ;)
Old Jan 14, 2010, 2:33 PM   #17

#6: One of the famous lions ran through DPHDR.

Name:  trafalgar_6.jpg
Views: 19230
Size:  246.4 KB

#7: The last two are from my stay in August 2007 - the weather was perfect, the camera was the same Here we have a guy on his horse (don't know his name...) looking to Big Ben.

Name:  trafalgar_7.jpg
Views: 2949
Size:  215.3 KB

#8: Allover view with a bit of hustle and bustle going on. Can you see the small Taj-Mahal (or whatever it is)? It was Indian week with more than 1000 things to see all over the city

Name:  trafalgar_8.jpg
Views: 2716
Size:  201.3 KB

So, if this post don't fit here, feel free to move it to the "Travel Photography" section

C&C welcome - but, as I mentioned before, at the time shooting these I didn't had any knowledge about photography... I just wanted to show you this shots (on Bynx's special request ) and see if you like them or not.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 2:38 PM   #18
Super Moderator

You initially presented a single photo, and then a different version based on feedback. That's exactly how this is suppose to work. Sharing a few more later from the same place is fine. No worries. just realize that you will probably only get general feedback on a series of shots.

I actually like the Lion shot from the last set. since it is mainly in black and white anyways, you may consider just converting to b&w, that will let you boost the contrast further.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2010, 10:11 PM   #19

Nice shots maggo. Thanks for the memories. One of those lions or maybe even more have slices in them from shrapnel during WWII. The hot shrapnel sliced through like a hot knife through butter. Your last pic is funny. Reminds me of the Leaning Tower of Nelson. Thanks again.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 5:44 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
You initially presented a single photo, and then a different version based on feedback. That's exactly how this is suppose to work. Sharing a few more later from the same place is fine. No worries. just realize that you will probably only get general feedback on a series of shots.

I actually like the Lion shot from the last set. since it is mainly in black and white anyways, you may consider just converting to b&w, that will let you boost the contrast further.
Thank's Hards for your kind words - I've converted the lion to b&w, here's the result:

Name:  trafalgar_6_bw.jpg
Views: 2703
Size:  225.5 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Nice shots maggo. Thanks for the memories. One of those lions or maybe even more have slices in them from shrapnel during WWII. The hot shrapnel sliced through like a hot knife through butter. Your last pic is funny. Reminds me of the Leaning Tower of Nelson. Thanks again.
Wow, I didn't know that, Bynx - really interesting! Yes, the last pic is strange

I played around with my first shot again and cropped it the way you guys suggested - here's the result:

Name:  Trafalgar Square At Night - Original_pp.jpg
Views: 2561
Size:  251.0 KB

So, enough of London for today - C&C welcome

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L