Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 11, 2010, 1:50 PM   #1

Default Trafalgar Square At Night

This one was shot in London last year in September - there was something like a "designer festival" going on so everything was lit up in many different colors.

At this time I only owned my old 5 mp Kodak P&S - so I took this shot handheld (OK, I tried to use my fiancee's head as a monopod ).

Name:  100_4278_crop_2_small.jpg
Views: 4029
Size:  231.7 KB

Please tell me what you think about this one, especially about the way I cropped it - does it work for you?

So, C&C is very welcome

Thank you all for watching!

Last edited by maggo85; Jan 11, 2010 at 2:15 PM. Reason: Changed a word
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2010, 3:09 PM   #2

Ive spent many good afternoons sitting in Trafalgar Square enjoying the sights. Thanks maggo. I like this pic. If you have more please post. Also uncropped.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 3:16 PM   #3
Super Moderator

it looks pretty good for handheld (or should i say fiancepod) shot with a p&s.

the fountain is a little too tight to the left side i think. and i don't like the way you have cut off that spire.

i might want to see the uncropped version like Bynx mentioned.

still, a nice travel shot, you made the most of the p&s and your fiance's head.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2010, 4:28 PM   #4

Love they way you played with the fountain. I have not been to london in couple of year. Your shot bring back memories.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2010, 1:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
it looks pretty good for handheld (or should i say fiancepod) shot with a p&s.

the fountain is a little too tight to the left side i think. and i don't like the way you have cut off that spire.

i might want to see the uncropped version like Bynx mentioned.

still, a nice travel shot, you made the most of the p&s and your fiance's head.
+1. What bothers me most is the chopped sculpture in the middle. Love the color and contrast. Great image for that Point and shoot.
jgredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2010, 7:46 AM   #6

Bynx, Hards, shoturtle and jgredline: Thank you very much for your kind and honest comments! It was just a quick test to see what I can do with this shot, which was more a snapshot than a "real" photograph (just like most of my pics I shot with my old p&s)

@Bynx: I'll take a look if there are some shots from this evening or my trip to London in 2007 that I can post here - but as I said, they are all snapshots, because of the lack of time and photography knowledge
Old Jan 12, 2010, 9:21 AM   #7

Anything you have is appreciated. When I was doing my world travelling I was living the moment rather than photographing it trying to keep it for later. My camera then was a Kodak Instamatic, which I upgraded to a Pentax ME when my days were almost finished. So you can imagine what kind of snapshits I have.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2010, 9:29 AM   #8

I like the panorama crop. It works for me.

Cropping off a little bit more to the right just past the base (pedestal?) of the monument in front of the rightmost lion statue might be better. It may not be necessary to show the rounding pattern of the black posts. But that's just me.

The photo is also a very sharp considering it's night time and using a handheld point and shoot at that. I think p&s cameras would switch to a higher therefore grainier ISO with night scenes. EXIF data shows ISO-80 at 2 seconds so I guess you took measures for that not to happen. Great shot!
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2010, 4:37 PM   #9

I really like the colors. Using your fiancee's as a monopod cracks me up!
wolverines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2010, 1:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvcarpio View Post
I like the panorama crop. It works for me.

Cropping off a little bit more to the right just past the base (pedestal?) of the monument in front of the rightmost lion statue might be better. It may not be necessary to show the rounding pattern of the black posts. But that's just me.

The photo is also a very sharp considering it's night time and using a handheld point and shoot at that. I think p&s cameras would switch to a higher therefore grainier ISO with night scenes. EXIF data shows ISO-80 at 2 seconds so I guess you took measures for that not to happen. Great shot!
Well, thank you vv, I'm glad you like my crop - I tried cropping it the way you mentioned and it looks better

Regarding the sharpness - I've done a little unsharpening (PS Unsharpening Mask) on it like on most of my pics, but I'll show you the original. I think I took all of my night shots with that P&S in the "Night landscape" mode of the camera - I think it will choose the lowest ISO in this mode, but I'm not shure...

Anyway, here's the untouched original, just resized:

Name:  trafalgar_orig.jpg
Views: 7630
Size:  190.6 KB

Maybe someone comes up with another cropping suggestion - please don't mind giving it a try