Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 13, 2010, 4:31 PM   #1

Default Bubbles

Bubbles are harder to photograph than you might realize. Focus, movement, lighting all make it difficult.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 13, 2010, 4:52 PM   #2
Super Moderator

yea, i can imagine that they are difficult to photograph. especially on a black background.

i think you need more light sources on these, to get a better outline, and i think the flash pops are a bit harsh. and maybe a bit brighter backdrop?

i would be interested to see that for comparison.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2010, 9:06 AM   #3

I kinda like the bubbles on the dark background. It gives it a mysterious feel. Although I think as Dustin stated, more lighting would add a nice effect also.
Mugmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2010, 11:22 PM   #4

Abstracts - I always like somewhat comprehensible abstracts, and I'm amazed that these are in focus, unless you were manually focusing and pre-setting it. While I might have a number of (uneducated) ideas that might be things I would try, I have no idea if any of them would work or make matters worse, so I'm not going to suggest anything.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2010, 6:43 AM   #5

What I did after a lot of trial and error was to tape out the viewing area of the camera LCD on the black background. Then manually focused the camera halfway between the lens and the background. At first I had the camera on a tripod but found that unsatisfactory trying to get the bubbles to fall in the viewing area. I found it more successful to manually hold he camera with on manual focus, blow the bubbles and then follow them and shoot away. The big trouble I see with shooting the bubbles is getting them lit up enough not to have to use the flash. I have a couple ideas that I am going to try to brighten the bubbles and will post something good on the weekend.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2010, 9:50 AM   #6

Thanks for the explanation, and I'll look forward to what you come up with. It looks like an interesting experiment.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2010, 12:57 PM   #7

Looks like your going to have a lot of fun with bubbles for some time to come Bynx.

I am impressed with the sharpness of the bubbles and have no problem believing you when you say that it's difficult.

I guess that when you have managed to create what you've sett out to create you'll have a load of experience to take with you into your next project.
Alasdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2010, 11:08 AM   #8

I think the clarity of these are suberp and clearly demonstrate your skill! I enjoyed these pics...thanks for sharing....and for saying how you did it.
Shutterbug74 is offline   Reply With Quote