Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 20, 2010, 3:01 PM   #1

Default Waiting for the sun....freezing!

This was the last shot in a series of 10 HDR's - some single HRD's and some combined / stitched into panoramas. I have been standing in the cold for some time now and, even though I was dressed warm, I was starting to feel it. Specially in my fingers (On and off with the gloves) my ears and nose.

- When will camera-makers make decent buttons that can be felt through thin gloves? When will they think to make back-lit buttons, easy to operat in the dark, so I dont have to switch on my head-lamp every time I must adjust a setting on my camera...?

This last shot was to be a beautiful "Good by" to a magnificent, clear and cold night, followed by dawn and "Hello" to a newborn day.

A 3-panel HDR Panorama: Strangely enough, the stitching-function apparently cut some of the cables holding the bridge up....

For those with smaller monitor-resolution.

Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 20, 2010, 3:05 PM   #2

Very nice shots, Walter! Thanks for the sacrifice in getting them.

My Oly E-620 has backlit buttons.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2010, 3:06 PM   #3

You are a braver soul then me, taking photos at dusk and dawn it the freezing cold. Great contrast and lighting. Yes I when I first saw the shot, the bridge did look a bit strange with the couple of cable stays missing.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 3:27 PM   #4
Super Moderator

this appears to be the same locale as the "night panorama" of page #3 of this thread: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/la...ml#post1042326

and to be honest, i like the close up view of the scene much better than the one you have presented here. in that shot the docks led in very well and the beautiful colors were emphasized by the framing of the docks and shore.

regarding this shot. the placement of the trees and shed in the frame are good. but when i look at this shot, i want to see the beautiful colors and the water. and not look at the messy tire tracks in the snow. and the domination of the scene with the blue snow, its just not as appealing to me as the hint of sunrise in the distance.

not a bad shot, but not nearly as strong as the closer shot you presented earlier, which i think is just marvelous.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2010, 2:28 AM   #5

Thank you all for your comments!

And gjtoth - You had to rub it in, didn't you!
I envy you those buttons, must be nice to have. Olympus seems to have a thought or two for its users well-being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
...My Oly E-620 has backlit buttons.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 3:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hards80 View Post
- and to be honest, i like the close up view of the scene much better than the one you have presented here. in that shot the docks led in very well and the beautiful colors were emphasized by the framing of the docks and shore....

- not a bad shot, but not nearly as strong as the closer shot you presented earlier, which i think is just marvelous.

I don't mind what you are saying about this shot, Hards80 - really I am cool. But it was never my intention to have those two shots set up side-by-side and have them compared to se which one is better. To do that, I would have posted them in the same thread.

IMO, these are two totally different shots, carrying different moods alltogether, and my intention here was to convey a mood of cold, loneliness and harsh winter, more than soft candy-colored and snug dawn. A bit like harsh reality, including tire tracks, against a softcolored backdrop of the oncoming day. I guess I failed in conveying that particular contrast.

This here is real life, while the other shot that you are talking about, was more about the poetry of sunrise.

Last edited by Walter_S; Jan 21, 2010 at 3:05 AM. Reason: Rooting out spelling and grammatical errors:
Old Jan 21, 2010, 4:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
IMO, these are two totally different shots, carrying different moods alltogether, and my intention here was to convey a mood of cold, loneliness and harsh winter, more than soft candy-colored and snug dawn. A bit like harsh reality, including tire tracks, against a softcolored backdrop of the oncoming day. I guess I failed in conveying that particular contrast.

To be honest - these where my thoughts when I saw this pic a few weeks ago. The first thing that came to my mind was: 'Damn it must be cold up there'

I REALLY think that you convey that cold mood perfectly with that shot, thanks to the dominating foreground with that loads of snow, but always with the hope that the upcoming sun brings the warmth that you need to come "back to life" (after freezing your b*** off). BTW, the trees and the shed are nicely placed - I like the composition of this one!

For me your other shot (the one where you're standing closer by the water) is the opposite from this shot - despite the snow this one conveys a feeling of cosy warmness to me

But what do I know... only my 2 cents

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2010, 9:55 AM   #8

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

My admiration for braving the elements...but then, those that do get rewarded with stunning images that us wimpy folk never see.

I really like your use of HDR--among the most natural looking HDR images that I have seen.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2010, 11:01 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
I don't mind what you are saying about this shot, Hards80 - really I am cool. But it was never my intention to have those two shots set up side-by-side and have them compared to se which one is better. To do that, I would have posted them in the same thread.

This here is real life, while the other shot that you are talking about, was more about the poetry of sunrise.

you are right, i suppose i should not have contrasted with the other shot. i had just finished viewing that thread mere seconds before opening this one, so it biased my opinion based on being the similar area. i think that speaks for how easily things can impact your perception of things and i wonder how often little things like the music we are listening too, the weather outside on that particular day, our relationship highs/lows impact our day to day impression of photography (or really any artform)

having your vision and thought process is helpful and helps me to appreciate this shot more. i would agree that you captured the harsh reality and the contrast you were going for. the tire-tracks go more for your harsh reality theme than the loneliness theme for me. had there been no tracks, i think it would have spoke more to the loneliness.

thanks for sharing, and for your detailed rebuttal, these discussions are fun and interesting.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2010, 2:51 PM   #10

walter you have really excelled in hdr as always good work mate