Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Photo Critiques

Old Jan 22, 2010, 2:31 PM   #11
Super Moderator

if seeing a quick preview of the scene in b&w is helpful for you. you can always shoot RAW plus a JPEG, and set the jpeg to b&w. it would give you a quick preview, but then you have your full-color raw to edit.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2010, 1:28 AM   #12

This is an interesting discussion. I've found that not all color pictures look good converted to b&w, and that some mediocre color pictures are outstanding as b&w. I don't have a problem with shooting raw+ and using monochrome for the jpg picture as it does give you a quick look at what the scene will look like in b&w. I'm not yet able to visualize what a scene will look like in b&w and it's nice to an idea whether it will work or not (since the LCD will show you the jpg preview) if that's what you are working on. But I'll always use the raw file to actually process. I've discovered that in Lightroom (and CS4) you can adjust the light or dark of individual colors, which can give you totally different pictures. CS4 has an adjustment layer that has presets that simulate using colored filters with b&w film, something else to play around with that wouldn't be possible if you shoot jpg only and use the camera's b&w mode.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2010, 2:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtngal View Post
... I don't have a problem with shooting raw+ and using monochrome for the jpg picture as it does give you a quick look at what the scene will look like in b&w. I'm not yet able to visualize what a scene will look like in b&w and it's nice to an idea whether it will work or not (since the LCD will show you the jpg preview) if that's what you are working on. But I'll always use the raw file to actually process...
This was what I was also what I was thinking. Only I used the b&w jpg directly, mostly because I wanted to see if I had managed to take a good b&w picture before using more time on processing too perfection. Only one person has actually commented on the picture (thanks again Bynx), I would have liked more to comment on it. Or used it to prove a point.
Alasdair is offline   Reply With Quote